Determining the direction of magnetic vector potential

In summary, the question is about determining the magnetic vector potential for a cylindrical wire with a uniform current density. The poster has already found the magnetic field inside and outside the wire, but is confused about the statement made by their professor regarding the direction of the potential due to symmetry. The response explains that while the direction of the potential may not always align with that of the current, in this case where the current flows in one direction everywhere, the potential will also point in that same direction. This is because the preferred axis created by the current flow gives a directional preference for the potential.
bfusco

Homework Statement

Im doing this practice question and I am to determine the magnetic vector potential A for a cylindrical wire with a uniform current density J. i have already determined B both inside and outside the wire no problem.My issue is in the solution given my professor states that due to symmetry [itex]\vec{A}=A\hat{z}[/itex] then [itex]\nabla \times A=\frac{-dA(s)}{ds}\hat{\phi} [/itex]

The part I don't understand is the statement "due to symmetry [itex]\vec{A}=A\hat{z}[/itex]", how does he know that just by looking?

Is it because A is determined by the integral of the current, therefore A points in the same direction as the current?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, the direction of ##\vec{A}## will not necessarily be aligned with that of ##\vec{j}## (e.g. if the current density field points in different directions at different points, that is if the current doesn't all flow in one direction, then you can't immediately be certain that the direction of ##\vec{A}## aligns with that of ##\vec{j}## from point to point) but if ##\vec{j}## flows in one direction everywhere then what you said is basically true up to a sign.

Think about it: if ##\vec{j}## points in a single direction everywhere in space then this picks out a preferred axis in space right? If ##\vec{A}## didn't point along the same axis, how will it even know which way to point when there is no directional preference in the system off of that axis?

Related to Determining the direction of magnetic vector potential

1. What is magnetic vector potential?

Magnetic vector potential is a mathematical quantity used to describe the magnetic field in a given space. It is a vector field that is related to the electric and magnetic fields through Maxwell's equations.

2. How is the direction of magnetic vector potential determined?

The direction of magnetic vector potential is determined by the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, then the curl of your fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic vector potential.

3. What is the significance of determining the direction of magnetic vector potential?

Determining the direction of magnetic vector potential is important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields and how they interact with charged particles. It also helps in calculating the magnetic flux and the energy stored in the magnetic field.

4. What are some methods used to determine the direction of magnetic vector potential?

Some methods used to determine the direction of magnetic vector potential include the right-hand rule, the Biot-Savart law, and using vector calculus to solve for the direction of the magnetic field at a given point.

5. Can the direction of magnetic vector potential change?

Yes, the direction of magnetic vector potential can change depending on the placement of the current-carrying conductor or the orientation of the magnetic field. It also changes with the direction and magnitude of the current flowing through the conductor.

Back