Determining the individual magnitudes of two stars

In summary, the problem involves determining the individual apparent magnitudes of two stars, S1 and S2, based on their known distance from Earth and apparent flux ratio (or brightness ratio). To solve this, one needs to understand the conversion from apparent flux to magnitude and how brightness decreases with distance. By using the known values and converting ratios into magnitude differences, the individual magnitudes of S1 and S2 can be determined.
Mike89
Firstly please if you reply don't post the solution, rather the method you would use to get it as I'm trying to learn how to answer this kind of question for an exam.

the problem (quoting my question paper):

the stars S1 and S2 are seen along the same line of sight from Earth. Srat S1 is at a distance of 10pc, the star S2 is at a distance of 100pc. Their apparent flux ratio is known to be (f1/f2)=2.
The combined apparent brightness of both stars seen from Earth is zero magnitudes, i.e m1+2=0.0mag. Determine the individual apparent magnitudes m1 and m2 of the two stars, if they could be resolved.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the term "apparent flux ratio", but I'm guessing it means "apparent brightness ratio". If so, the fact that S1 is twice as bright as S2 means that 3 times S2's intensity equals mag. 0. Do you know how to convert "3 times" into a magnitude difference?

Using the same logic, 2/3 of the combined brightness equals S1's brightness. Convert 2/3 (or 3/2; it doesn't matter) into a magnitude difference; the question should be easy from there.

You need to know the relation between brightness (or flux) and magnitude (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_magnitude)
And you need to know how the brightness of an object decreases with distance.

FAQ: Determining the individual magnitudes of two stars

What is the process for determining the individual magnitudes of two stars?

The process for determining the individual magnitudes of two stars involves measuring the apparent brightness of each star using a photometer or telescope. These measurements are then compared to known standard stars to determine the magnitude of each star.

How do scientists account for factors that may affect the apparent brightness of a star?

Scientists take into account factors such as distance, atmospheric conditions, and the star's intrinsic brightness when determining its magnitude. By using standardized methods and calibrating instruments, scientists can minimize the impact of these factors on their measurements.

What is the difference between apparent magnitude and absolute magnitude?

Apparent magnitude is a measure of how bright a star appears to be from Earth, while absolute magnitude is a measure of how bright a star would appear if it were located 10 parsecs (32.6 light-years) away. Absolute magnitude takes into account the star's intrinsic brightness and allows for more accurate comparisons between stars.

Can the individual magnitudes of two stars change over time?

Yes, the individual magnitudes of stars can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the star's brightness, changes in its distance from Earth, or changes in atmospheric conditions. It is important for scientists to regularly monitor and update these measurements to accurately track any changes.

What are some limitations of using individual magnitudes to study stars?

Individual magnitudes only provide a snapshot of a star's brightness at a specific moment and do not take into account variations in brightness or changes over time. Additionally, individual magnitudes do not provide information about a star's composition, temperature, or other important characteristics. Scientists must use other methods, such as spectroscopy, to gather more comprehensive data about stars.