Determining the optimal layout?

• Thread starter Amaelle
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about determining the optimal layout for material handling operations in industrial plants and safety warehouses. The concept of a single cycle is discussed, where a round trip transfer is made between the point of input/output and the storage location. The goal is to minimize the average path length and a formula is provided to calculate this. The question of what constitutes an average path and the difference between input/output points and allocation points is also raised. The formula for determining the optimal conditions is given and it is noted that the area is equal to the product of the two variables.
Amaelle
Good day all,
I m currently studying how to determine "the optimal layout" in INDUSTRIAL PLANT & SAFETY WAREHOUSES course, and I was stucked with the following section:
Material Handling operation

Single cycle:
• it is an handling operation of input or output of a SKU
• consists of a round trip transfer between the point I/O and the generic location of storage
• in the input cycle the way back is "unloaded“
• in the output cycle the way to is "unloaded“
and then the slide goes to the following section:
allocation.png

I really need to understand :
  1. what do they mean by single cycle?
  2. what are they trying to do in the picture i'have posted bellow? I really tried the whole day to find a hint but uselessly
Many thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You simply want to minimize the average path length. Take ## \frac{dr}{dU}=0 ##. Have you had any calculus yet? After that, there's just a little algebra to see how ## U ## and ## V ## are related for optimal conditions.

Thanks for your pr ompt reply,
my issue is not calculus related, i need to understand what do they mean by average path!? what is the idea behind this why is the input out put point different from allocation?
many thanks in advance!

I didn't look at the diagram very carefully, but they give you the answer=formula here. I don't know how they arrived at their first formula=if you study their diagram, maybe it makes perfect sense, but it really doesn't need to. They give you the formula for ## r ##, and that is the one that they expect you to use.
One item you should recognize is area ## A=UV ##. (That's how they got the second formula for ## r ## from the first one).

THANKS!

Likes Charles Link

Related to Determining the optimal layout?

1. What is the purpose of determining the optimal layout?

Determining the optimal layout is crucial in various industries, including manufacturing, architecture, and web design. It involves finding the most efficient and effective arrangement of elements to achieve a specific goal or maximize a desired outcome.

2. What factors should be considered when determining the optimal layout?

There are several factors that should be considered when determining the optimal layout, such as the available space, functionality, aesthetics, user experience, and cost. Each project may have different priorities, so it is important to identify and prioritize the key factors for a successful layout.

3. How can data and analysis help in determining the optimal layout?

Data and analysis play a crucial role in determining the optimal layout. By collecting and analyzing data, such as user behavior, traffic flow, and performance metrics, we can gain insights into how the layout is currently performing and make informed decisions on how to improve it.

4. What are some common methods used to determine the optimal layout?

There are various methods used to determine the optimal layout, including mathematical modeling, simulation, user testing, and expert evaluation. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of method may depend on the project's requirements and resources.

5. How often should the optimal layout be evaluated and updated?

The optimal layout should be evaluated and updated regularly, especially in industries where there are frequent changes in technology, user behavior, or market trends. It is recommended to review the layout at least once a year to ensure it remains effective and meets the evolving needs of the project.