Determining the reaction intermediates

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, according to the student, NO2 is not a reaction intermediate, CNO is not in the rate law, and the equilibrium constant for the first reaction is unknown.
rwooduk
Hi, I am working my way through the answers to the question sheet but am confused:

1. Homework Statement

kMa7o8Q.jpg

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

vssbIvl.jpg

Why isn't NO2 a reaction intermediate? i.e. I thought that if when the equations were added, the ones that cancel are the reaction intermediates??

Also why isn't CNO in the rate law? I thought that the reaction intermediates were included in the rate law?

Thanks for any help with this, it's not for any assigned work, I have to help with the tutorial itself so need to be able to explain this stuff to students.

Physics news on Phys.org
Question b about NO2 either has no right and wrong answer or yours is right. Seems the NO2 has to collide with or interact somehow with an NO3 molecule in order for this to react. And difficult offhand to imagine how it could be determined whether the NO2 molecule emerging from the second one is the same one that entered it!

c. If you are going to explain this to students you certainly need to state the equilibrium equation for the first step and between that and your kinetic equation eliminate to get hopefully only [N2O5] in the final rate equation.
No [NO] should not come into it - this substance appears only after the irreversible rate-determining step.
No, concentrations of intermediates which are often enough not easily observable like starting and end products are, usually do not appear in the rate equation, and iany mechanism gives enough equations to eliminate them.

Last edited:
Likes rwooduk
I can only guess that NO2 was excluded as it is the final product, but I see nothing wrong with NO2 being both the final product and the intermediate.

Likes rwooduk
Many thanks for the helpful replies!

I just took a quick google look and you can find this reaction much discussed on the web. It seems to be a didactic favorite. I think there are even you-tube demonstrations. And N2O5 I learned there is environmentally important.

But downside of something being made an academic example and excercise, I did not find looking at a lot of documents in a hurry, the equilibrium constant for that first reaction, maybe someone else can easily find it . If I don't know that I don't know what it means to say x is the molarity of N2O5 I mean in terms of actually doing an experiment. If someone tells me the equilibrium is very much to the left, then it is simple, the gas can be assumed to be practically all N2O5. At that density or pressure though - there will be some lower density or pressure where that can't be true you realize. I guess this is eq is to the left, otherwise N2O5 couldn't be environmentally significant, but something that needs to be questioned, borne in mind IMO.

Likes rwooduk

Related to Determining the reaction intermediates

1. What are reaction intermediates?

Reaction intermediates are molecules or compounds that are formed during a chemical reaction, but are not the final products. They are formed in the middle of the reaction and are then consumed to form the final products.

2. How are reaction intermediates determined?

Reaction intermediates are determined through various methods such as spectroscopy, chromatography, and mass spectrometry. These techniques allow scientists to identify and analyze the presence of intermediate compounds in a reaction.

3. Why is it important to determine reaction intermediates?

Determining reaction intermediates is important because it helps us understand the mechanism of a chemical reaction. By knowing the intermediates, we can better predict the products of a reaction and potentially control the reaction to produce desired products.

4. Can reaction intermediates be isolated and studied?

In some cases, reaction intermediates can be isolated and studied. However, this is not always possible as some intermediates may be highly reactive and unstable. In these cases, indirect methods are used to study the intermediates.

5. How can determining reaction intermediates benefit society?

Knowing the intermediates in a chemical reaction can lead to the development of new and more efficient processes for producing products. This can have a positive impact on industries such as pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and energy production.