Determining the saturation current

In summary, the conversation discusses using a GaAs LED to determine the saturation current and the value of "n". The speaker has plotted the data on semi-log paper and found a linear segment from 1uA-5000uA. However, they question whether their method is accurate and mention that the linear segment may actually be from 5mA-50mA. The conversation also mentions the need to calculate the LED series resistance for accurate modeling. An attached application note provides a procedure for calculating the reverse saturation current, n, and series resistance using the collected data.
sandy.bridge
Hello all, I have a GaAs LED, and I want to determine the saturation current. I have numerous points from 0.5V-2.9V, with currents of 0.1uA-50mA. I have plotted it on semi-log paper, however, the only linear segment is from 1uA-5000uA, and then it begins to curve downwards. I used the linear segment to determine the saturation current, and the value of "n", however, they hardly describe the diode for anything else beyond this linear segment... Have I done something improper for determining these values?

Note: if I do a scatter plot in excel of all my points, the linear segment is rather from 5mA-50mA

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Whoops, somehow the axes were messed. Check the attached:
Also attached is the semi-log graph

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,352
  • dasffasdf.png
    dasffasdf.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,482
Last edited:
The reverse saturation current (Is) for a diode is typically modeled as I = Is * (e^(V/(nVt)) - 1). This model is applicable to LEDs only for very low forward currents. For forward currents above a few mA, the ohmic losses in the LED must be included to accurately model the forward voltage. You are going to need to calculate the LED series resistance based on the measurements you’ve collected.

I’ve attached an application note that shows a procedure for calculating the reverse saturation current, n, and series resistance of an LED using the forward current measurements you’ve already made.

Attachments

• AB20-3A.pdf
    186.7 KB · Views: 1,766

Related to Determining the saturation current

What is saturation current?

Saturation current, also known as reverse saturation current, is the minimum amount of current that flows through a diode when it is reverse biased. It is a characteristic of a diode and is determined by the physical properties of the diode material.

How is saturation current measured?

Saturation current is typically measured by applying a reverse bias voltage to the diode and measuring the resulting current using a multimeter or other measuring instrument. The measurement is usually taken at room temperature to ensure consistent results.

What factors affect the saturation current?

The saturation current of a diode can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, the material and composition of the diode, and the amount of impurities present in the diode. These factors can change the physical properties of the diode, thus affecting the amount of current that flows through it.

How is saturation current related to diode breakdown?

Saturation current is closely related to diode breakdown. As the reverse bias voltage is increased, the saturation current will eventually reach a point where it sharply increases, indicating that the diode has reached its breakdown voltage. This is important to consider when designing circuits using diodes.

Why is determining the saturation current important?

Determining the saturation current is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and limitations of diodes in electronic circuits. It is a key factor in diode design and can help prevent damage to the diode and other components in a circuit. Understanding and controlling the saturation current is crucial for ensuring the proper functioning of a circuit.