Determining the total distance a solid sphere will roll.

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in calculating the total distance a marble will travel on a cardboard surface when initially propelled by an external force. They have attempted to calculate the rolling resistance but are unable to do so without knowing the coefficient of rolling resistance between the marble and cardboard. They believe they could figure out the distance if they knew the friction acting on the marble and have also mentioned the coefficient of static friction. Other participants suggest measuring the static friction and calculating based on that, but the speaker is unsure if this will work due to the lack of deformity in the marble and surface. Ultimately, they thank the others for their help and acknowledge that the rolling resistance may need to be calculated experimentally.
smalveh
Hi guys not sure if this belongs in the homework section, anyway here goes!
I'm trying to calculate the total distance a marble (I'm modeling it as non-deformable solid sphere) will travel along a flat cardboard surface (I'm also assuming the cardboard does not deform).
The sphere will initially be propelled by a known external force, it can be assumed that the sphere will not slip.
I've tried figuring this out by calculating the rolling resistance that acts on the marble as it moves across the surface, but it seems that this is not possible without knowing the coefficient of rolling resistance between the marble and the cardboard surface.
I'm quite sure I could figure out the total distance if I knew the magnitude of the friction acting on the sphere because I also know the speed at which the marble is launched.
I know the coefficient of static friction between the two surfaces as well if that helps in any way.

Any way thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any method to estimate the rolling resistance without any data except the static friction. Measure it, and calculate it based on the measurements?

If the marble and surface don't deform, how will there be any resistance?

The marble will stop only because of rolling friction and that, I believe, has to be calculated experimentally

ashishsinghal said:
The marble will stop only because of rolling friction and that, I believe, has to be calculated experimentally

I thought this would end up being the case ashishsinghal.
Thanks for your help anyway guys.

Related to Determining the total distance a solid sphere will roll.

1. What is the equation for determining the total distance a solid sphere will roll?

The equation for determining the total distance a solid sphere will roll is D = (2/5)πr, where D is the distance rolled and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. Does the surface the sphere is rolling on affect the total distance it will roll?

Yes, the surface the sphere is rolling on can affect the total distance it will roll. A smoother surface with less friction will allow the sphere to roll further, while a rougher surface with more friction will cause the sphere to roll a shorter distance.

3. How does the mass of the sphere impact the total distance it will roll?

The mass of the sphere does not directly impact the total distance it will roll. However, a heavier sphere may have more momentum and therefore roll further than a lighter sphere on the same surface.

4. What other factors besides surface and mass can affect the total distance a solid sphere will roll?

Other factors that can affect the total distance a solid sphere will roll include the initial velocity and angle at which the sphere is rolled, as well as any external forces acting on the sphere such as air resistance or gravity.

5. Can this equation be used for all types of solid spheres?

No, this equation is specifically for a solid sphere with a uniform density. Different types of solid spheres may require different equations to determine the total distance they will roll.