Determining two sets of boundary conditions for a double integral prob

In summary: The way you wrote it is more like a calculator would write it, but not like a mathematician would write it.In summary, there are two sets of boundary conditions that can be used to solve a double integral problem in the polar coordinate system. The first set is defined by the boundaries $$\theta=0\quad to\quad \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}\\r=0\quad to\quad r=2sin2\theta$$ while the second set is defined by the boundaries $$\theta=0\quad to\quad \theta=\frac{\pi}{4}\\r=0\quad to\quad r=2sin\theta$$ for the first half and $$\theta=\frac{\pi}{4
ainster31

Homework Statement

Determining two sets of boundary conditions for a double integral problem in the polar coordinate system. Is the below correct?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

RxdbG0b.png

There are two sets of boundary conditions that you can use to solve this problem in the polar coordinate system.

Set 1:

$$\theta=0\quad to\quad \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}\\r=0\quad to\quad r=2sin2\theta$$

Set 2:

$$\theta=0\quad to\quad \theta=\frac{sin^{-1}\frac{r}{2}}{2}\\r=0\quad to\quad r=2$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Your second one isn't correct. Think about the range of ##\theta## if you let ##r## go from ##0## to ##2##, looking at the picture.

LCKurtz said:
Your second one isn't correct. Think about the range of ##\theta## if you let ##r## go from ##0## to ##2##, looking at the picture.

vP0eAem.png

$$a\le \theta\le b$$

Is that what you're asking for?

No. You have$$
\theta = \frac{\arcsin(\frac r 2)} 2$$ and ##r## going from ##0## to ##2##. What range of ##\theta## does that give you as you vary ##r##?

LCKurtz said:
No. You have$$
\theta = \frac{\arcsin(\frac r 2)} 2$$ and ##r## going from ##0## to ##2##. What range of ##\theta## does that give you as you vary ##r##?

##\theta=0## to ##\frac{\pi}{4}##

Hmm... how do I fix this?

ainster31 said:
##\theta=0## to ##\frac{\pi}{4}##

Hmm... how do I fix this?

There is a very simple fix using symmetry. Do you see it?

LCKurtz said:
There is a very simple fix using symmetry. Do you see it?

Yes. You just use the boundaries in set 2 and multiply the double integral by 2 because it is symmetric.

But what if it wasn't symmetric? How would I solve this? Would I have to split the graph into two parts?

Or I could just define a new inverse sine function on a different domain?

ainster31 said:
Yes. You just use the boundaries in set 2 and multiply the double integral by 2 because it is symmetric.

But what if it wasn't symmetric? How would I solve this? Would I have to split the graph into two parts?

Or I could just define a new inverse sine function on a different domain?

Yes, you would have to modify it somehow to make it work. I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over this if I were you. When you are given ##r = f(\theta)##, nobody in his right mind would do the integral by integrating ##\theta## first then ##r##. In fact it isn't even clear from the statement of your original problem that that is what is wanted. Perhaps for the second method you could have just used the symmetry and integrate as in the first answer.

LCKurtz said:
Yes, you would have to modify it somehow to make it work. I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over this if I were you. When you are given ##r = f(\theta)##, nobody in his right mind would do the integral by integrating ##\theta## first then ##r##. In fact it isn't even clear from the statement of your original problem that that is what is wanted. Perhaps for the second method you could have just used the symmetry and integrate as in the first answer.

Well, in this example, it just makes things harder, but take a look at problem 30 I am currently trying to solve:

xSAaSQK.png

A graph can be shown from the overlap of the blue and the red below:

TshljSA.png

where red represents ##0\le y\le 1## and blue represents ##0\le x\le \sqrt{2y-y^2}##

It seems like the only want to solve this without breaking the integral into multiple parts is with the following set:

$$\theta=0\quad to\quad \theta=sin^{-1}\frac{r}{2}\\r=0\quad to\quad r=1$$

Edit: never mind. Again with the range problem. :( How would I solve this problem? I can't even think of where to split the shape.

Last edited:
ainster31 said:
Well, in this example, it just makes things harder, but take a look at problem 30 I am currently trying to solve:

xSAaSQK.png

A graph can be shown from the overlap of the blue and the red below:

TshljSA.png

where red represents ##0\le y\le 1## and blue represents ##0\le x\le \sqrt{2y-y^2}##

It seems like the only want to solve this without breaking the integral into multiple parts is with the following set:

$$\theta=0\quad to\quad \theta=sin^{-1}\frac{r}{2}\\r=0\quad to\quad r=1$$

Edit: never mind. Again with the range problem. :( How would I solve this problem? I can't even think of where to split the shape.

You break it up into two parts. The outer boundary for ##r## is ##r = 2\sin\theta## up to ##\theta = \frac \pi 4##. Then what is the outer boundary for ##r## in terms of ##\theta## for the greater values of ##\theta##?

Like below?

$$\theta=0\quad to\quad \theta=\frac{\pi}{4}\\r=0\quad to\quad r=2sin\theta$$
$$\theta=\frac{\pi}{4}\quad to\quad \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}\\r=0\quad to\quad r=csc\theta$$

ainster31 said:
Like below?

$$\theta=0\quad to\quad \theta=\frac{\pi}{4}\\r=0\quad to\quad r=2sin\theta$$
$$\theta=\frac{\pi}{4}\quad to\quad \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}\\r=0\quad to\quad r=csc\theta$$

Yes. By the way, I understand your limits when you write them that way, but it actually is ambiguous to do so. It would be much better to write a double integral with limits on them to make clear the order of integration and which variables and limits go on the inner and outer integrals. Certainly you would want to do so on an exam.

Related to Determining two sets of boundary conditions for a double integral prob

1. What is a double integral problem?

A double integral problem involves finding the area under a two-dimensional surface, such as a graph, by integrating over two variables.

2. Why do we need two sets of boundary conditions for a double integral problem?

Since a double integral involves integrating over two variables, we need two sets of boundary conditions to define the limits of integration in both directions.

3. How do you determine the first set of boundary conditions for a double integral problem?

The first set of boundary conditions is determined by the limits of integration in the outer integral, which usually correspond to the x-axis.

4. How do you determine the second set of boundary conditions for a double integral problem?

The second set of boundary conditions is determined by the limits of integration in the inner integral, which usually correspond to the y-axis.

5. What are some common methods for determining two sets of boundary conditions for a double integral problem?

Some common methods include visualizing the region of integration and setting up the limits based on the given boundaries, using symmetry to simplify the problem, and converting the boundaries to polar coordinates if the region has a circular or radial symmetry.