Determining Variables Involving Complex Numbers

In summary, when solving for c and d in a homework equation with i2=-1, you set the real and imaginary parts of the equation equal to each other to get two equations.
Freye

Homework Statement

Let a, b in R, not both zero. Find c, d in R such that (a+bi)^-1 = c+di

Homework Equations

i^2=-1

R is the set of all real numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a feeling I'm approaching this problem incorrectly but:

1 = (a + bi)(c + di)
=ac + adi + cbi + bdi^2 but i^2=-1
so 1 = ac - bd + (ad + bc)i^2

This is as far as I've attempted becuase I realized that my solution really isn't going anywhere. Maybe someone could just give me a hint to start me off on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
Freye said:

Homework Statement

Let a, b in R, not both zero. Find c, d in R such that (a+bi)^-1 = c+di

Homework Equations

i^2=-1

R is the set of all real numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a feeling I'm approaching this problem incorrectly but:

1 = (a + bi)(c + di)
=ac + adi + cbi + bdi^2 but i^2=-1
so 1 = ac - bd + (ad + bc)i^2

This is as far as I've attempted becuase I realized that my solution really isn't going anywhere. Maybe someone could just give me a hint to start me off on the right track.

You are on the right track, but that last equation should have i instead of i2. It should read:

1 + 0i = (ac-bd)+(bc+ad)i

Set the real and imaginary parts equal to each other, giving two equations in the two unknowns c and d.

LCKurtz said:
You are on the right track, but that last equation should have i instead of i2. It should read:

1 + 0i = (ac-bd)+(bc+ad)i

Set the real and imaginary parts equal to each other, giving two equations in the two unknowns c and d.

Oops, I had i written down but I just misstyped it as i^2 here.

So I do:

1-ac+bd=(bc+ad)i + 0i

but I don't see how that gives me equations to solve for c and d.

Freye said:
Oops, I had i written down but I just misstyped it as i^2 here.

So I do:

1-ac+bd=(bc+ad)i + 0i

but I don't see how that gives me equations to solve for c and d.

What I meant is to set the real parts equal to each other and ditto the imaginary parts.

LCKurtz said:
What I meant is to set the real parts equal to each other and ditto the imaginary parts.

so from:

1+0i=ac-bd+(ad+bc)i

Am I allowed to say that:

ac-bd=1 and (ad+bc)i =0i ?

If so, is this because the imaginary numbers of the equation cannot affect the real numbers and vice versa?

So ad + bc = 0, you don't need the i in that equation. But yes, two equations in the unknowns c and d.

Ok, thank you very much

Related to Determining Variables Involving Complex Numbers

What are complex numbers and why are they important in scientific research?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary component. They are important in scientific research because they can be used to represent physical quantities such as electrical currents and electromagnetic fields, as well as to solve mathematical problems that involve equations with complex roots.

How do you determine the variables involved in a complex number equation?

To determine the variables involved in a complex number equation, you need to identify the real and imaginary components of the equation. The real component is represented by the letter 'a' and the imaginary component is represented by the letter 'b'. These variables can then be used to perform operations on the complex numbers.

What is the difference between a real and an imaginary variable in a complex number equation?

A real variable in a complex number equation represents a quantity that can be measured or observed in the real world, such as distance or time. An imaginary variable, on the other hand, represents a quantity that cannot be directly measured or observed, but is needed to solve the equation.

How do you simplify complex number equations?

To simplify complex number equations, you can use algebraic rules and properties to combine like terms and simplify expressions. You can also use the properties of complex numbers, such as the distributive property, to simplify the equation.

What are some real-world applications of complex numbers?

Complex numbers have many real-world applications, including in electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, signal processing, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in solving differential equations and in calculating the resonance frequency of systems.