Determining Voltage Across a Current Source in a Circuit Analysis Problem

In summary, the voltage across the current source must be 5V in order that the load (no matter what load) passes 2A.
eyeanand

Homework Statement

The problem statement is in the Attached Image...To find the Voltage "V"

Homework Equations

I tried aplying Thevenin theorem here...so Calculated Rth looking into the circuit with Voltage shorted and current sources opened.

The Attempt at a Solution

by inspection i get Rth = infinity and and Isc = 2A ...hence Vth = infinity x 2A = infinity.

I do not get whether the answer or the approach is correct hence kindly help.

Attachments

• Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
eyeanand said:

Homework Statement

The problem statement is in the Attached Image...To find the Voltage "V"

Homework Equations

I tried aplying Thevenin theorem here...so Calculated Rth looking into the circuit with Voltage shorted and current sources opened.

The Attempt at a Solution

by inspection i get Rth = infinity and and Isc = 2A ...hence Vth = infinity x 2A = infinity.

I do not get whether the answer or the approach is correct hence kindly help.

It's an odd circuit, no doubt. The series-connected ideal 2A current source trumps all the rest of the component behaviors as far as what the load sees is concerned.

An ideal current source will produce any potential difference necessary to maintain its defined current. So the 5V voltage source and 2 Ω series resistance will be nullified (or rather, compensated for) by the current source demanding that the load accept 2A no matter what. The take-away message is: no matter what you put in series with an ideal current source, the whole lot still looks like the same ideal current source.

So, what must the potential V be in order that the load (no matter what load) pass 2A? I think you'll have to answer with an expression rather than a value.

I agree. You cannot determine V from the problem. Perhaps the answer is "V is always indeterminable without knowing the voltage across the current source"

If Vc is the voltage across the current source then all of the following appear valid...

V Vc
4 5
5 4
-1 +10
-1000 +1009
+909 -900

Related to Determining Voltage Across a Current Source in a Circuit Analysis Problem

1. What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of studying and analyzing the behavior and performance of electrical circuits. It involves using mathematical and engineering principles to understand how current and voltage flow through a circuit and how different components within the circuit interact with each other.

2. Why is circuit analysis important?

Circuit analysis is important because it allows us to design and troubleshoot electronic devices and systems. By understanding how circuits work, we can ensure that they function properly and efficiently. Additionally, circuit analysis is essential for developing new technologies and improving existing ones.

3. What are the different methods used for circuit analysis?

There are several methods used for circuit analysis, including Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, Thevenin's theorem, and Norton's theorem. These methods involve using mathematical equations and diagrams to analyze the behavior of circuits.

4. What are some common tools used for circuit analysis?

Some common tools used for circuit analysis include multimeters, oscilloscopes, circuit simulators, and breadboards. These tools help scientists and engineers measure and visualize the behavior of circuits, making it easier to analyze and troubleshoot them.

5. How can circuit analysis be applied in real-world situations?

Circuit analysis is applied in a variety of real-world situations, from designing and testing electronic devices and systems to diagnosing and repairing faulty circuits. It is also used in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and automotive engineering to ensure the proper functioning of complex electrical systems.