Determining volume of an acid needed to react with a mass

In summary: It is different from the pure substance. I think I understand your mistake now. In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the volume of hydrochloric acid needed to react with 1.25 g of calcium carbonate. The correct answer is 16.7 cm^3 HCl, which can be found using the molar concentration formula and the given information about the reaction. The mistake made was using the density of a hydrochloric acid solution instead of the actual molar concentration.
Deluxe489
1. Determine the volume of 1.50 mol dm–3 of hydrochloric acid that would react with exactly 1.25 g of calcium carbonate.

2. 2HCl(aq) + CaCO3(s) --> CaCl2(aq) + CO2(g) + H2O(1)

3. I tried to do this: (1.25 g CaCO3) / (100 g CaCO3) = 0.0125 moles of CaCO3
2 moles of HCl are needed for every 1 of CaCO3; therefore, 2*0.0125 = 0.0250 moles of HCl
(0.0250 moles of HCl)(36.46 g HCl) / (1.18 g HCl) = 7.73 cm3 HCl
Unfortunately, the correct answer is 16.7 cm 3 HCl. I know it has something to do with the 1.50 mol dm-3, but I don't know how to do the problem.

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning up to the point where you conclude that you need 0.025 moles of HCl is good. I am not exactly sure what you have done from there (where did 1.18g come from??)

From the definition of molar concentration, c = n/V, you can find the volume V that you require. You have found that n=0.025 moles of HCl and you have the concentration of HCl, so you can find the volume.

Thank you. The density of hydrochloric acid is 1.18 g/cm^3, and I thought I needed to use that. I guess I didn't.

I would first commend you for your efforts in attempting to solve this problem. It is important to carefully analyze and understand the given information before attempting to solve any scientific problem.

In this case, the key information is the concentration of the hydrochloric acid, which is given as 1.50 mol dm-3. This means that for every 1 liter of solution, there is 1.50 moles of HCl present.

To determine the volume of HCl needed to react with 1.25 g of calcium carbonate, we can use the balanced chemical equation provided:

2HCl(aq) + CaCO3(s) --> CaCl2(aq) + CO2(g) + H2O(l)

Based on the equation, we know that for every 2 moles of HCl, 1 mole of CaCO3 is needed. Therefore, we can set up a proportion:

(2 mol HCl / 1 mol CaCO3) = (x mol HCl / 0.0125 mol CaCO3)

Solving for x, we get x = 0.025 mol HCl.

Now, to convert this to volume, we can use the concentration of the HCl solution:

(0.025 mol HCl) / (1.50 mol dm-3 HCl) = 0.0167 dm3 HCl

Finally, we can convert this to cm3 by multiplying by 1000:

0.0167 dm3 HCl * 1000 cm3 / 1 dm3 = 16.7 cm3 HCl

Therefore, the correct answer is indeed 16.7 cm3 of HCl needed to react with 1.25 g of calcium carbonate.

In summary, when solving scientific problems, it is important to carefully analyze the given information and use the appropriate units and equations to arrive at the correct solution. Keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors!

Related to Determining volume of an acid needed to react with a mass

1. How do you determine the volume of acid needed to react with a certain mass?

The volume of acid needed to react with a certain mass can be determined by using the molar mass of the acid and the mass of the substance to be reacted with. First, convert the mass of the substance to moles by dividing it by its molar mass. Then, use the molar ratio between the acid and the substance to calculate the moles of acid needed. Finally, convert the moles of acid to volume using the acid's molar volume.

2. Why is it important to determine the volume of acid needed for a reaction?

Determining the volume of acid needed for a reaction is important because it ensures that the reaction will be carried out with the correct stoichiometry. This means that the reactants will be present in the correct proportions for a complete and efficient reaction to occur.

3. What units are typically used to express the volume of acid needed for a reaction?

The volume of acid needed for a reaction is typically expressed in liters (L) or milliliters (mL). These units are commonly used in chemistry for measuring the volume of liquids.

4. How does the strength of the acid affect the volume needed for a reaction?

The strength of the acid does not directly affect the volume needed for a reaction. However, it does affect the amount of moles of acid needed for the reaction. Stronger acids have a higher concentration, meaning that less volume is needed to provide the same amount of moles as a weaker acid.

5. What other factors may affect the volume of acid needed for a reaction?

Aside from the strength of the acid, other factors that may affect the volume of acid needed for a reaction include the concentration of the acid, the temperature of the reaction, and the presence of any catalysts or inhibitors. These factors can alter the rate of the reaction, which may affect the overall volume needed for a complete reaction.