Determining whether the Cauchy-Goursat theorem applies

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: So, all I said about how to make the integral well-defined would be valid, right? And, the singularity on the contour would make it impossible to apply the Cauchy-Goursat theorem because the contour would not be analytic, right?In summary, the Cauchy-Goursat theorem can be applied to the function ##f(z) = e^{z^7}## since it is analytic in and on the contour, which is the unit circle. However, for a function that requires the removal of a branch, such as ##f(z) = \log z##, the singularity on the contour would prevent the application of the Cauchy-Goursat theorem as the contour would no longer be analytic.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##C## be the negatively oriented contour ##2e^{-i \pi t}## ##0 \le t \le 1## For which of
the following functions does the Cauchy-Goursat theorem apply so that the integral of the
function along ##C## is zero?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first function is ##f(z) = e^{z^7}##, where ##z^7 = e^{7 \log z}##.

Obviously, the contour over which we wish to integrate ##f(z)## is the unit circle. For ##f(z)## to even be integrable, it must first be a function, which can be accomplished by removing a branch so that ##\log z## becomes a function. By removing a branch, we are actually removing a ray which makes some angle ##\theta## with the positive real-axis that begins at the origin and extends away from it. For instance, I could remove the ray which corresponds to the negative real-axis, all those points of the form ##(a,0)##, where ##a \in \mathbb{R} \setminus \{0\}##; consequently, there can be no points whose angle (argument) is ##\theta = \pi##.

Here is why I do not believe one can apply the Cauchy-Goursat theorem: there are singularities interior to the contour (infinitely many, actually), and one singularity on the contour--namely, ##(-1,0)##.

Despite this, I believe we can integrate the function over the contour because there is only one singularity point. This would be analogous to an improper integral because we are integrating up to a singularity point, right?

My question is, how would I set up the integral? When ##t = 1/2##, we get ##C(1/2) = (-1,0)##. So, would I do an improper integral on the variable ##t##?

Also, would the integral be the same independent of which branch I choose to remove?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Let ##C## be the negatively oriented contour ##2e^{-i \pi t}## ##0 \le t \le 1## For which of
the following functions does the Cauchy-Goursat theorem apply so that the integral of the
function along ##C## is zero?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first function is ##f(z) = e^{z^7}##, where ##z^7 = e^{7 \log z}##.

Obviously, the contour over which we wish to integrate ##f(z)## is the unit circle. For ##f(z)## to even be integrable, it must first be a function, which can be accomplished by removing a branch so that ##\log z## becomes a function. By removing a branch, we are actually removing a ray which makes some angle ##\theta## with the positive real-axis that begins at the origin and extends away from it. For instance, I could remove the ray which corresponds to the negative real-axis, all those points of the form ##(a,0)##, where ##a \in \mathbb{R} \setminus \{0\}##; consequently, there can be no points whose angle (argument) is ##\theta = \pi##.

Here is why I do not believe one can apply the Cauchy-Goursat theorem: there are singularities interior to the contour (infinitely many, actually), and one singularity on the contour--namely, ##(-1,0)##.

Despite this, I believe we can integrate the function over the contour because there is only one singularity point. This would be analogous to an improper integral because we are integrating up to a singularity point, right?

My question is, how would I set up the integral? When ##t = 1/2##, we get ##C(1/2) = (-1,0)##. So, would I do an improper integral on the variable ##t##?

Also, would the integral be the same independent of which branch I choose to remove?

Why would you define ##z^7## as ##e^{7 \log z}##? Did YOU do this, or did the person setting the problem force you to use that weird definition?

No, my textbook defines in such a way. Here is the book: http://www.uwyo.edu/selden_homepage/4230/complex-jiblm.pdf page 28 definition 183

[itex]z^n[/itex] is single-valued for integer [itex]n[/itex]: [itex]\exp(n(\mathrm{Log}(z) + 2im\pi)) = \exp(n \mathrm{Log}(z))[/itex] for any [itex]m \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex], since [itex]\exp(2imn\pi) = 1[/itex].

Bashyboy said:
No, my textbook defines in such a way. Here is the book: http://www.uwyo.edu/selden_homepage/4230/complex-jiblm.pdf page 28 definition 183

But, BY DEFINITION, ##z^7 = z \cdot z \cdot z \cdot z \cdot z \cdot z \cdot z##. You only need ##z^a = e^{a \log z}## for non-integer values of ##a##.
Bashyboy said:

But, BY DEFINITION, ##z^7 = z \cdot z \cdot z \cdot z \cdot z \cdot z \cdot z##.

You only need ##z^a = e^{a \log z}## for non-integer values of ##a##. While the book does not specifically say so, I think the intention is that definition 183 applies to non-integer values of the power---at least, that is how it is explained in all complex variable books I have ever seen before. One hint that this might really be the author's intention is the fact that in various places much before page 28 he writes things like ##z^2##, ##z^3##, etc, as though he expects the reader to understand what these mean without having to reach page 28.

pasmith said:
[itex]z^n[/itex] is single-valued for integer [itex]n[/itex]: [itex]\exp(n(\mathrm{Log}(z) + 2im\pi)) = \exp(n \mathrm{Log}(z))[/itex] for any [itex]m \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex], since [itex]\exp(2imn\pi) = 1[/itex].

Ah, of course. I should have been able to easily deduce that from the definition. So, then ##f(z) = e^{z^7}## would be analytic in and on the contour, thereby allowing us to apply the Cauchy-Goursat theorem.

Okay, suppose we didn't have such a function, an analytic one, but one for which we had to remove a branch. Would all I said in my first post be valid? For instance, ##f(z) = \log z##, where ##\log z = \ln|z| + i \arg z## would be one such function, right?

FAQ: Determining whether the Cauchy-Goursat theorem applies

1. What is the Cauchy-Goursat theorem?

The Cauchy-Goursat theorem is a mathematical theorem in complex analysis that states that if a function is analytic in a simply connected region, then the line integral of the function around any closed path in that region is equal to zero.

2. How do I determine if the Cauchy-Goursat theorem applies to a given function?

To determine if the Cauchy-Goursat theorem applies, you must first check if the function is analytic in a simply connected region. This means that the function must be differentiable at every point in the region and have a continuous derivative. Additionally, the region must be connected and not have any holes or gaps.

3. Can the Cauchy-Goursat theorem be applied to functions of more than one variable?

No, the Cauchy-Goursat theorem only applies to functions of a single complex variable. However, there are similar theorems, such as the Cauchy integral theorem, that apply to functions of multiple variables.

4. How is the Cauchy-Goursat theorem used in real-world applications?

The Cauchy-Goursat theorem is used in many areas of physics and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and signal processing. It is also used in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to the Cauchy-Goursat theorem?

Yes, the Cauchy-Goursat theorem only applies to analytic functions, which means that it cannot be used for functions with singularities or branch points. Additionally, it only applies to simply connected regions, so it cannot be used for functions defined on multiple disconnected regions.

Back