Diagonalization of a hamiltonian for a quantum wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the diagonalization of the Hamiltonian for a 1D wire with proximity-induced superconductivity. The correct result for the energy spectrum is given, but the speaker is unsure how to bring the Hamiltonian into a correct matrix form for calculating the eigenvalues. They mention using tensor notation with the Pauli matrices for spin and particle-hole space, but there may be a mistake in interpreting the Pauli matrices. The conversation also references a paper discussing similar expressions for the Hamiltonian and energy spectrum.
Lars Milz
I try diagonalize the Hamiltonian for a 1D wire with proximity-induced superconductivity. In the case without a superconductor is all fine. However, with a superconductor I don't get the correct result for the energy spectrum of the Hamiltonian (arxiv:1302.5433)

[itex]H=\eta(k)τz+Bσ_x+αkσ_yτ_z+Δτ_x[/itex]

Here σ and τ are the Pauli matrices for the spin and particle-hole space.

Now the correct result is: [itex]E^2(k)=Δ^2+η^2(k)+B^2+(αk)^2 ± \sqrt{B^2Δ^2+η^2(k)B2+η^2(k)(αk)^2}[/itex]
My problem is now that I don't know how I bring the Hamiltonian in the correct matrix form for the calculation of the eigenvalues. If i try it with the upper Hamiltonian I have completely wrong results for the energy spectrum. I believe my mistake is the interpretation of the Pauli matrices τ but I don't know how I can write the Hamiltonian in the form to get the correct eigenvalues.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe what you have here is tensor notation but with the tensor sign left out to reduce clutter. By the tensor [itex]A \otimes B[/itex] of two matrices [itex]A,B[/itex], we mean at every entry of [itex]A[/itex], insert a copy of [itex]B[/itex] multiplied by that entry in [itex]A[/itex]. For example, i'll work out the first term in that Hamiltonian. I'll take the convention that the [itex]\sigma[/itex] matrices come first followed by the [itex]\tau[/itex] matrices and 1 as a matrix is the [itex]2 \times 2[/itex] identity matrix:

[itex]\displaystyle \tau_z = 1 \otimes \tau_z = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} \otimes \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix} [/itex].

Similarly, the second term is really [itex]\sigma_x = \sigma_x \otimes 1[/itex], the third is [itex]\sigma_y \otimes \tau_z[/itex] and so on.

Using the standard Pauli matrices [itex]\sigma_x = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix},
\sigma_y = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix}, \sigma_z = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex], i don't actually agree with the expression for energy you wrote down. When I plug the [itex]4 \times 4[/itex] matrix [itex]H[/itex] into Mathematica and ask for the eigenvalues I get the same expression you wrote down except with a factor of 2 in front of the [itex]\pm \sqrt{\phantom{a}}[/itex] term in [itex]E^2[/itex].

I know you're getting this from a paper. After a quick scan, the most similar expression for [itex]H[/itex] I can find is equation 3 on page 4. The expression for [itex]E^2[/itex] in equation 4 on page 5 has the factor of 2 in front of the square root. However, admittedly, I haven't followed that calculation closely and I'm not entirely sure what all the symbols in equation 4 mean.

Related to Diagonalization of a hamiltonian for a quantum wire

1. What is diagonalization of a Hamiltonian for a quantum wire?

Diagonalization of a Hamiltonian for a quantum wire is a mathematical process used to find the energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions of a quantum wire. This allows for the prediction and understanding of the behavior of quantum particles within the wire.

2. Why is diagonalization important in quantum wire systems?

Diagonalization is important in quantum wire systems because it allows for the identification of the discrete energy levels and wavefunctions, which are crucial in understanding the properties and behavior of quantum particles within the wire. It also allows for the calculation of important quantities such as the density of states and the transmission and reflection coefficients.

3. What are the steps involved in diagonalization of a Hamiltonian for a quantum wire?

The steps involved in diagonalization of a Hamiltonian for a quantum wire include: 1) setting up the Hamiltonian matrix, 2) solving the eigenvalue equation to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, 3) normalizing the eigenvectors, 4) calculating the density of states and transmission and reflection coefficients, and 5) interpreting the results in the context of the quantum wire system.

4. How does diagonalization of a Hamiltonian for a quantum wire differ from diagonalization in other systems?

The process of diagonalization is similar in all systems, but the specific Hamiltonian matrix used for a quantum wire may differ depending on the system's characteristics, such as its dimensions and boundary conditions. Additionally, the results and interpretations may also differ due to the unique properties of quantum particles and their behavior in the wire.

5. Are there any limitations to diagonalization of a Hamiltonian for a quantum wire?

While diagonalization is a powerful tool for analyzing quantum wire systems, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system is in equilibrium and that there are no external perturbations. It also does not take into account the effects of interactions between particles, which can significantly impact the behavior of the system. Additionally, the process can become computationally intensive for larger and more complex systems.