Diameter of the football players' piston?

In summary, the conversation is about a 54.0 kg cheerleader using an oil-filled hydraulic lift to hold four 130 kg football players at a height of 1.40 m. The diameter of the cheerleader's piston is 18.0 cm and the question is to find the diameter of the football players' piston. The calculation is 54/18^2 = 520/x^2, which results in a diameter of 55.85696 cm. However, there may be a calculation error due to significant figures.
benedict9999

Homework Statement

A 54.0 kg cheerleader uses an oil-filled hydraulic lift to hold four 130 kg football players at a height of 1.40 m. If her piston is 18.0 cm in diameter, what is the diameter of the football players' piston?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

54 /18^2 = 520/x^2
x= 55.85696 cm

What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Run that through your calculator again; looks like a calculation error.
Might be worth writing out the cross multiplication step.

it's not... I still get the same answer running it through my calculator

Why do you think it is wrong?

Sig figs perhaps?

Edit: I must admit thread subject made me wonder if it is not XXX site link spam...

Last edited:
Sorry, I made the mistake! Checked it again and got your answer.

Related to Diameter of the football players' piston?

1. What is the diameter of the football players' piston?

The diameter of a football player's piston, also known as their thigh or leg muscle, varies depending on the individual. However, on average, the diameter can range from 11-14 inches.

2. How does the diameter of the football players' piston affect their performance?

The diameter of a football player's piston can play a significant role in their performance. Generally, a larger diameter indicates a stronger and more powerful muscle, which can result in greater speed and acceleration on the field. However, other factors such as technique and overall fitness also play a role in performance.

3. Can the diameter of a football player's piston be increased through training?

Yes, the diameter of a football player's piston can be increased through specific training and exercises that target the leg muscles. This can result in improved strength and power, which can ultimately enhance their performance on the field.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with increasing the diameter of a football player's piston?

As with any type of training, there are potential risks involved in increasing the diameter of a football player's piston. These risks include muscle strains, tears, and other injuries if proper techniques and precautions are not followed. It is important for players to work with a qualified trainer and listen to their body to avoid these risks.

5. Does the diameter of a football player's piston differ between positions?

Yes, the diameter of a football player's piston can vary between positions. For example, linemen typically have larger and more powerful leg muscles due to the physical demands of their position, while wide receivers may have smaller but more agile leg muscles. However, this can also vary greatly among individual players based on their training and genetics.