Equivalent Resistance in Diamond-Shaped Circuits

• Thread starter qwertyflatty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the equivalent resistance is found by multiplying the individual resistance values together.
qwertyflatty
How would I find the equivalent resistance of a diamond-shaped circuit? Is the middle resistor simply omitted?

By diamond-shaped, I mean it looks like a Wheatstone bridge, but it has a resistor in the middle instead of a current detector.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Say R1 to R5 form the diamond shape, where there are three chain in parallel.

1) R1 in series with R2.
2) R3.
3) R4 in series with R5.

So the equivalent R is very simple...All 3 chain parallel, or if you like, find;

1) (R1+R2)//R3.

2) [(R1+R2)//R3]//(R4+R5).

Simple!

Am I getting it right? You testing us?!

I thought you couldn't use series-parallel relationships to solve a Wheatstone bridge, and had to use mesh analysis or something.

yungman, the OP might want the resistance between the other two points on the diamond circuit, which would be the resistance that would be the load on the power supply if the diamond circuit was powered like a Wheatstone bridge.

Code:
        A
        |
       /_\
       \ /
        |
        B

Last edited:
yungman said:
Say R1 to R5 form the diamond shape, where there are three chain in parallel.

1) R1 in series with R2.
2) R3.
3) R4 in series with R5.

So the equivalent R is very simple...All 3 chain parallel, or if you like, find;

1) (R1+R2)//R3.

2) [(R1+R2)//R3]//(R4+R5).

Simple!

Am I getting it right? You testing us?!

No, your circuit looks like this:

|
/|\
\|/
|

My circuit looks like what the person above just posted.

I created the circuit using a circuit simulator, and it showed that there would be no current flowing through the middle resistor. I have no idea whether or not this is correct.

qwertyflatty said:
I created the circuit using a circuit simulator, and it showed that there would be no current flowing through the middle resistor. I have no idea whether or not this is correct.

It's only correct for balanced bridge. If R1/R4 = R2/R3, then no current would flow through the "middle resistor," but otherwise there would be current there (when VAB ≠ 0).

Code:
       A
       |
 R2   /_\  R1
 R3   \ /  R4
       |
       B

Last edited:
simplify: think of a bridge as two voltage dividers on same supply

IF they're both set to the same fraction of that supply
THEN they're the same voltage so no difference and no current flows
whether it's a resistor, current or voltage detector between the dividers

Last edited:
Hmm, so there's no way to simplify the circuit into one resistor unless R1/R4 = R2/R3?

well there's the old standby of write equations from Kirchoff's laws

5 resistors, five unknown currents, five equations

as we said in the 60's - should be plug&chug.

Try Googling "wye-delta conversion"

You should find all you need.

The post is asking about circuits like this:

00485.png

The solution for this circuit is given here:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/3.html
It starts about half way down the page.

Likes Aaron John Sabu

Related to Equivalent Resistance in Diamond-Shaped Circuits

What are diamond-shaped circuits?

Diamond-shaped circuits are a type of circuit design that incorporates a diamond shape as the main structure of the circuit. This shape allows for efficient routing and placement of components, making it a popular choice for high-frequency and high-speed electronic devices.

What are the advantages of using diamond-shaped circuits?

Diamond-shaped circuits offer several advantages, including improved signal integrity, reduced electromagnetic interference, and better heat dissipation. They also allow for smaller and more compact circuit designs, making them ideal for use in portable electronic devices.

What types of electronic devices use diamond-shaped circuits?

Diamond-shaped circuits are commonly used in devices that require high-speed data transmission, such as smartphones, laptops, and other mobile devices. They are also used in high-frequency applications, such as radar systems and satellite communication systems.

Are diamond-shaped circuits difficult to manufacture?

No, diamond-shaped circuits are not particularly difficult to manufacture. They require specialized equipment and techniques, but these are readily available and commonly used in the electronics industry. However, the complexity of the design may increase the cost of production.

What are the potential limitations of diamond-shaped circuits?

One potential limitation of diamond-shaped circuits is their vulnerability to mechanical stress. The corners of the diamond shape can be prone to cracking or breaking under certain conditions. Additionally, the unique design may also make it challenging to repair or modify the circuit if needed.