Did anyone ever failed a physics class in college?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggles in a physics class, despite understanding the material in the textbook and doing well on homework. They express feeling nervous during tests and receiving low scores, making it unlikely for them to pass the class with a C. They have an A in the lab portion and in other related classes, but feel disappointed in their performance. They ask for advice on how to improve in physics and whether or not engineering is still a good career choice. The other person shares their own experience with failing an exam and emphasizes the importance of adjusting and seeking guidance in order to succeed. They also suggest being intentional in practicing problems to better prepare for exams.
edgarpokemon
I did horrible in my first 2 tests in physics (electric and magnetism). But when I read the book, I understand everything that it is saying. I understand the derivations, the explanations and the theories. I also did good on the homework that the proffesor gave us. But when it came to the tests, I get really nervous and I ended up doing a 20 on my first test and a 35 on my second test. Now it is unlikely that I can pass the class with a C. I have an A on the lab and I understand everything that we are doing (a little hard time setting up the circuits), but I understand the physical stuff that occurs on circuits. I have an A in differential equations and statics, but I feel awful that I failed both tests so badly. Most in my class are failing the tests, but some don't go below a 50. Did you ever failed a physics class? What would you reccomend me to be better in physics, if I already understand what the book is saying. I like physics, and i was planning in taking a modern physics class, but I don't feel like doing that anymore.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried working more practice problems? It sounds like possibly you just need to get comfortable with working the problems in a test situation and familiarity with help with that. It's time consuming but I doubt there's any other way.

I agree with Phinds. Reading is definitely good, but before a test you should be doing lots of practice problems and identifying any issues you have. I always did at least 2x the amount of problems the homework contained when I was in the freshman and sophomore physics classes.

edgarpokemon said:
I did horrible in my first 2 tests in physics (electric and magnetism). But when I read the book, I understand everything that it is saying. I understand the derivations, the explanations and the theories. I also did good on the homework that the proffesor gave us. But when it came to the tests, I get really nervous and I ended up doing a 20 on my first test and a 35 on my second test. Now it is unlikely that I can pass the class with a C. I have an A on the lab and I understand everything that we are doing (a little hard time setting up the circuits), but I understand the physical stuff that occurs on circuits. I have an A in differential equations and statics, but I feel awful that I failed both tests so badly. Most in my class are failing the tests, but some don't go below a 50. Did you ever failed a physics class? What would you reccomend me to be better in physics, if I already understand what the book is saying. I like physics, and i was planning in taking a modern physics class, but I don't feel like doing that anymore.

By chance, where do you go to school?

Are the tests curved?

Also, don't put so much weight in reading and understanding things. You obviously need to work more problems. Many important concepts are embedded in the problems, and problem solving (what you're most likely being tested on) is a skill unto itself.

right, i just realized that but i think is too late now. is engineering a good career choice for me even though i failed a physics class?

edgarpokemon said:
right, i just realized that but i think is too late now. is engineering a good career choice for me even though i failed a physics class?

It's not so much that you failed a class that should concern you, but how you adjusted after you failed the first exam. You should have been seeking guidance from your professor/TA's and adjusted accordingly to shore up any weaknesses.

But no, failing one course doesn't mean that engineering is a bad career choice, assuming you've learned your lesson here. You'll most certainly run into issues again, but hopefully you'll take action sooner.

Never failed a course, but had a career low of a 32% on an exam (tensr analysis in Math Methods in Physics).

My normally successful approach of working lots of practice problems let me down, because I was was practicing poorly for the material tested. I learned there need to be adjustments not only to the time and effort spent practicing, but to how I practiced and how I selected which problems to practice. After that, I became much more intentional about trying to get into my profs' heads and pick practice problems most likely to be similar to ones they would put on exams.

Related to Did anyone ever failed a physics class in college?

1. What percentage of students fail a physics class in college?

This percentage varies depending on the college and the rigor of the physics class. However, on average, about 10-15% of students fail a physics class in college.

2. What are the common reasons for failing a physics class?

Some common reasons for failing a physics class include not understanding the material, not putting in enough effort and time, and not seeking help when needed. Physics can be a challenging subject, and it is important to stay on top of the material and seek assistance when necessary.

3. Can you retake a failed physics class in college?

Yes, most colleges allow students to retake a failed class. However, some colleges may have restrictions on the number of times a class can be retaken. It is best to check with your college's policies and speak with an academic advisor.

4. How can I improve my chances of passing a physics class in college?

Some tips for improving your chances of passing a physics class include attending all lectures and taking thorough notes, completing all assignments and practicing problems regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and studying consistently throughout the semester rather than cramming before exams.

5. Will failing a physics class affect my GPA?

Yes, failing a physics class will affect your GPA. Most colleges use a grading system where an "F" carries a weight of 0.0, which will significantly lower your GPA. It is important to aim for passing grades in all classes to maintain a good GPA.