Did Feynman Smoke Cigarettes? - Answers Here

In summary, it is likely that physicist Richard Feynman smoked cigarettes, although there is no concrete evidence to confirm this. He was known to have smoked marijuana and tried LSD, and was even friends with psychadelic advocate Timothy Leary. It was common for people, including college students, to smoke during the time period in which Feynman was active in physics. There are also reports of attendees at conferences complaining about the smoke making it difficult to see. However, there is also evidence to suggest that Feynman may have been a light smoker, as he joked about it in his book "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" Overall, it seems that smoking was prevalent and accepted during this time and it
collectedsoul
Not looking for much of a discussion, just a simple answer. Did Feynman smoke cigarettes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't you ever read his book: Surely You're Smoking, Mr. Feynman!

Wait, that may not be right...

Just a little bit, when he was cremated.

Just... wow.

Feynman smoked pot, for sure. Though I haven't done any research on his tobacco-use, it is very likely that he smoked. Cigarette-smoking was very widespread when he was active in physics. I have read complaints from attendees at conferences that it could be hard to see the blackboards through the smoke if you had a seat near the back.

Ivan Seeking said:

:smile: OMG Ivan. Good thing I wasn't sipping coffee! :smile:

turbo-1 said:
Feynman smoked pot, for sure. Though I haven't done any research on his tobacco-use, it is very likely that he smoked. Cigarette-smoking was very widespread when he was active in physics. I have read complaints from attendees at conferences that it could be hard to see the blackboards through the smoke if you had a seat near the back.

If I remember correctly, he also tried LSD once as well?

SticksandStones said:
If I remember correctly, he also tried LSD once as well?
And LSD and other psychedelics and sensory deprivation, sometimes together. He hung out with Richard Alpert (who was an associate of Timothy Leary) who got involved in Indian mysticism and became known as Baba Ram Dass.

I guess it pays to be a famous physicist in the 60's. Or just be alive in the 60's? :)

SticksandStones said:
I guess it pays to be a famous physicist in the 60's. Or just be alive in the 60's? :)
I was having some fun in the 60's. I wasn't famous nor a physicist, but staying under the radar was probably good. One of my music-buddies went to Woodstock - I had to stay home and flag traffic and grease heavy-equipment on my lunch-hours. "Saving for College" is sometimes not fun.

BTW, I and most of the Engineering students smoked. By 1970, there was a fatalism setting in. You'd have to be of "an age" to appreciate it.

Ivan Seeking said:

Wait, that may not be right...

No, it was "What Are You Smoking, Mr. Feynman?" :biggrin:

This picture was clearly modified. One can tell he was surely smoking.
feynman.jpg

He smoked on the bongos.
http://boingboing.net/2009/05/30/richard-feynman-play.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Did Feynman Smoke Cigarettes? - Answers Here

What is the controversy surrounding Feynman's smoking habits?

The controversy surrounding Feynman's smoking habits stems from conflicting accounts and evidence. While some claim that he was a heavy smoker, others argue that he only smoked occasionally or not at all.

Did Feynman publicly admit to smoking cigarettes?

Feynman was known for being honest and open about his personal life, but he never publicly admitted to smoking cigarettes. However, he did mention in his book "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" that he tried smoking at a young age but didn't like it.

What evidence suggests that Feynman smoked cigarettes?

There are several pieces of evidence that suggest Feynman smoked cigarettes. Some of his colleagues and friends have claimed that they saw him smoking, and there are also photos of him holding a cigarette. Additionally, in his FBI file, there is a report of him lighting a cigarette during a meeting.

Did Feynman's smoking habit affect his health?

There is no concrete evidence that Feynman's smoking habit had a significant impact on his health. However, smoking is a known risk factor for various health issues, so it is possible that it may have contributed to his death from stomach cancer at the age of 69.

Why is the question of Feynman's smoking habits still debated?

The question of Feynman's smoking habits is still debated because there is no definitive answer. While some people claim that he was a heavy smoker, others argue that he only smoked occasionally or not at all. Without clear evidence from Feynman himself, the debate is likely to continue.