Did Hawking's Dublin Talk Redefine Quantum Gravity Observables?

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, Sean Carroll found a transcript of Hawking's 21 July talk at dublin and passed it on to Peter Woit, the mathematician blogger of Columbia U and Not Even Wrong fame. They both found it to be well written and entertaining, but there are some hog-graphic claims made which Woit mistrusts. The conference audience was largely unconvinced by Hawking's arguments.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
somebody got a transcript of Hawking's 21 July talk at dublin
to the blogger/cosmologist and generally cool guy Sean Carroll
and Peter Woit, the mathematician blogger of Columbia U and
Not Even Wrong fame, passed the link on to us

http://pancake.uchicago.edu/~carroll/hawkingdublin.txt

So I printed out these words of Hawking
and sit reading them
they are no-formulas, readable, and fairly much
for general audience

He says among other arresting things:

"There is a problem describing what happens, because Strictly speaking,
the only observables in quantum gravity, are the values of the field
at infinity.
One can not define the field at some point in the middle,
because there is quantum uncertainty in where the measurement is
done."

I don't know if I buy that. One observes correlations of measurments made in this life in one's own backyard---I would have thought----not at infinity.
the entertainment of this talk is high, and it is very well written I'd say, but there is something

whole-hog-graphic

about it (pun chuckle chuckle) that I mistrust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Was any PF person persuaded by Hawking argument?

Is there anyone here who found hawking's talk, which we now have a transcript of, at all convincing?

Please tell us about it, what did you find persuasive
or not persuasive.

A science reporter who was at the conference
was just being interviewed on the radio
and said that after Hawking's lecture he talked to a lot of scientists attending the conference
and his impression that they mostly remained unconvinced.
And that particular science journalist could be wrong or
have talked to an unrepresentative sample of the audience etc.

Ultimately it comes down to what you think.
Were you persuaded?

Well, I am undecided still, I am waiting to see the detailed paper.

Take a large bucket and go wash that multi teated quadruped

Well I am sorry but it seems hawkings just had to publish something, why i don't
know, but this is as lame as it gets, i also know I am a nobody whose opinion is
negligible, but who can give any credence to this.

marcus said:
Is there anyone here who found hawking's talk, which we now have a transcript of, at all convincing?

Please tell us about it, what did you find persuasive
or not persuasive.

A science reporter who was at the conference
was just being interviewed on the radio
and said that after Hawking's lecture he talked to a lot of scientists attending the conference
and his impression that they mostly remained unconvinced.
And that particular science journalist could be wrong or
have talked to an unrepresentative sample of the audience etc.

Ultimately it comes down to what you think.
Were you persuaded?

I'm at the level of "I see why he says that, but I don't see how it settles the case". The unmentioned 4 ton elephant in the room is who says these euclidean path integrals from infinitely far away have anything to do with the problem? Yes I know about shooting beams from infinity to near the black hole and then seeing what has been added/subtracted when it gets back to infinity again. But there are too many questions around the path integral methods and Wick rotation in curved space time to convince me.

Well, there is the holographic principle; the boundary of a region contains enough information to reconstruct the interior. "At infinity" is the "boundary" of the universe, so given this principle, measurements at infinity should be sufficient to describe anything in the universe. I'm not sure how much I believe that uncertainties go away at infinity, though.

Yes he does seem to be using holography and your satz of "at infinity" is the boundary of the universe, supposed to be the CFT that expresses all the physics of the bulk. I could see infinity as shorthand for far away and asymptotically flat, but this more literal interpretation as the infinitely far off boundary of spacetime gives me the willies. I don't care who does it, it just seems manifestly unsound to me.

Maybe we live in projective 4-space? :biggrin:

I don't know much about CFT, but I've seen similar things in other fields. For instance, there's this classic technique from complex analysis:

Problem: Find the contour integral of some function along the real axis.
Solution: analytically extend the function to the upper half plane, and consider contour integrals along the boundary of semicircles with the center at the origin. Using residues, you can find the values of these integrals. Then, you look at just the line integral along the curve of the semicircle and find the limit as the radius goes to infinity. Then, you can subtract to get the value of the integral along the real axis. (of course, this is all under suitable conditions) The net result is as if you did an integral around the boundary of the entire upper half-plane!

And in Algebraic Geometry, a lot of affine varieties can be extended to projective varieties (which have these points "at infinity") and back, so "at infinity" is always fair game.

FAQ: Did Hawking's Dublin Talk Redefine Quantum Gravity Observables?

1. What is the main topic of Hawking's talk?

The main topic of Hawking's talk is the concept of time and how it relates to the universe and our understanding of it.

2. What are some key points that Hawking makes in his talk?

Hawking discusses the idea of a "beginning" of time and how it may not exist, as well as the possibility of time travel and the concept of a multiverse.

3. What is Hawking's overall message in his talk?

Hawking's overall message is that our understanding of time is constantly evolving and there is still much to be discovered and understood about its role in the universe.

4. How does Hawking support his arguments in his talk?

Hawking uses scientific evidence and theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, to support his arguments.

5. What impact did Hawking's talk have on the scientific community?

Hawking's talk sparked much discussion and debate among scientists about the nature of time and its role in the universe. It also inspired further research and exploration in this field.

Back