Did i calculate this divergence theorem correclty?

In summary, the divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental concept in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of the same vector field over the enclosed volume. To apply the divergence theorem correctly, you must ensure that the surface and the volume are properly defined and that the vector field is continuous and differentiable within the enclosed volume. Some common mistakes when using the divergence theorem include using the wrong orientation for the surface, not properly defining the limits of integration for the volume, and using a vector field that is not continuous or differentiable within the enclosed volume. The divergence theorem can be applied to any vector field as long as it satisfies the necessary conditions, such
wown

Homework Statement

what is the divergence of <y,z,x>?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

is the answer 0? seems too easy, lol, because the actual question is
"compute the surface integral for F dot prod dS over domain T where T is the unit sphere and F = <y,z,x>"

any thoughts? did i miss something? the next question is the same except F= <-y,-z,-x> and the answer is still 0, no?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's just as easy as you think it is.

Related to Did i calculate this divergence theorem correclty?

1. What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental concept in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of the same vector field over the enclosed volume.

2. How do I know if I have applied the divergence theorem correctly?

To apply the divergence theorem correctly, you must ensure that the surface and the volume are properly defined and that the vector field is continuous and differentiable within the enclosed volume. You should also check that the orientation of the surface and the direction of the vector field are consistent.

3. What are some common mistakes when using the divergence theorem?

Some common mistakes when using the divergence theorem include using the wrong orientation for the surface, not properly defining the limits of integration for the volume, and using a vector field that is not continuous or differentiable within the enclosed volume.

4. Can the divergence theorem be applied to any vector field?

The divergence theorem can be applied to any vector field as long as it satisfies the necessary conditions, such as being continuous and differentiable within the enclosed volume. However, it is most commonly used for conservative vector fields, where the flux through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the divergence theorem?

Yes, the divergence theorem has many real-world applications in various fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and engineering. It is used to calculate flow rates of fluids through closed surfaces, electric flux through conductors, and surface integrals in three-dimensional stress analysis, among others.

Back