Did i do this f=ma problem right

• Thread starter vande060
  • Start date
  • Tags
    F=ma
In summary, the conversation was about finding the velocity of a body with a mass of 10 kg after a force of 20Ni + 30Nj is applied to it for 3 seconds. The solution involved using the equation f=ma and dimensional analysis to calculate the velocity vectors, with a final answer of 6m/s in the i direction and 9m/s in the j direction. It was clarified that velocity is a vector while speed is a scalar quantity.
vande060
1. Homework Statement

A body of mass m = 10 kg initially at rest has force F = 20Ni + 30Nj applied to it. Find its velocity at t = 3 s

f=ma

3. The Attempt at a Solution

m(ai,aj) = (20i,30j

m*ai= 20N

m*aj = 30N

ai = 2*m/s^2

aj = 3*m/s^2

to find the velocities of each of the vectors i used dimensional analysis:

vi = (2*m/s^2) * (3*s) = 6m/s
vj = (3*m/s^2) * (3*s) = 9m/s

to find the complete velocity, i now calculate the magnitude of the vectors by the equation:

v = √( vx^2 + vy^2)

v=√(6^2 + 9^2)

v= 10.9 m/s <--- is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes that is correct.

You have the right idea, except that your final answer is not expressed as a vector. They did ask for velocity, and not for the speed.

Yes, velocity is the vector you got initially: [itex]6\vec{i}+ 9\vec{j}[/math] m/s. It is not necessary to find the magnitude- that is the speed.

Redbelly98 said:
You have the right idea, except that your final answer is not expressed as a vector. They did ask for velocity, and not for the speed.

thanks i never knew the difference between speed and velocity, now i do!

Related to Did i do this f=ma problem right

1. Did I use the correct formula for f=ma?

The formula f=ma is used to calculate the force (f) acting on an object with a given mass (m) and acceleration (a). If you have correctly identified the force, mass, and acceleration in your problem, then you have used the correct formula.

2. How do I know if my answer is correct?

To check if your answer is correct, you can use the formula f=ma to calculate the force and compare it to your answer. You can also double-check your calculations to ensure there are no errors.

3. What units should I use for the variables in the f=ma formula?

The unit for force (f) is Newtons (N), the unit for mass (m) is kilograms (kg), and the unit for acceleration (a) is meters per second squared (m/s^2). It is important to use consistent units in your calculations to get the correct answer.

4. Do I need to consider the direction of the force in the f=ma formula?

Yes, the direction of the force should be taken into consideration when using the f=ma formula. If the force is in the same direction as the acceleration, then the force is positive. If the force is in the opposite direction of the acceleration, then the force is negative.

5. Can I use the f=ma formula for any type of motion?

The f=ma formula is specifically used for calculating the force on an object with constant acceleration. It can be used for any type of motion as long as the acceleration remains constant. If the acceleration changes, then a different formula should be used.