Did I Fail the Job Interview?

In summary: It's always a good idea to go into an interview knowing as much as possible about the company and the position you are interviewing for.In summary, the be-back-bus is a metaphor for the idea that until someone offers you a job, you are still looking. This is especially true in sales, where it can take a while for someone to offer you the job. If you don't get the job, don't get discouraged - you may still be able to get the job if you reapply.
Dolphiney
Yesterday I got an interview
After that, they told me to try next time if this time I was not accepted and wait for their call if they want to contact.
When someone told you so, does that mean you failed ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dolphiney said:
Yesterday I got an interview
After that, they told me to try next time if this time I was not accepted and wait for their call if they want to contact.
When someone told you so, does that mean you failed ?
It depends. It could just be their policy, or perhaps you were the first in a group of people yet to be interviewed and didn't want to commit yet. How do you feel about the overall tone of the interview? Were they telling you when they would need you to start and ask if there were any issues you would need to work out to meet that start date? Were they smiling and nodding during the interview and did you get the feeling that they had accepted you? Those are always very good signs, even if they don't tentatively offer you the job during the interview.

Everyone does some rationalizing at one point or another. The best thing you can do is apply for another job. That way if they call you back, you will have bargaining chips.

yeah, try something similar, like gastronomy

If you got the job, they'll tell you soon. If you didn't get it, they'll never tell you. I wish you the best of luck. If, however, my wish fails, perhaps this will help:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/star_search/"

Last edited by a moderator:
In sales, there is something called the be-back-bus. That's the bus that will be carrying all of those people who said, "I'll be back!". The point: Until someone offers you a job, assume that you are still looking.

jimmysnyder said:
If you got the job, they'll tell you soon. If you didn't get it, they'll never tell you.
I think every job offer I ever had came within 1 week after the interview.

Ivan Seeking said:
In sales, there is something called the be-back-bus. That's the bus that will be carrying all of those people who said, "I'll be back!". The point: Until someone offers you a job, assume that you are still looking.

That's the truth. I've got a be-back-cruise ship at this point. I learned about 2 years ago to always assume "I'll be back" means "you'll never see me again."

Redbelly98 said:
I think every job offer I ever had came within 1 week after the interview.
One job (process chemist) came within an hour of the end of the interview. I didn't have a chemistry degree, but I had relevant experience, and the manager of the Tech Department was a practical guy. I drove home after hearing that they'd get back to me, and wondered if I had done well at the interview. When I got home, my wife told me where I had to go for a medical check-up, and that I would start next Monday.

I had spoken to 3 engineers and the department head and didn't think that I had done all that well.

turbo-1 said:
One job (process chemist) came within an hour of the end of the interview. I didn't have a chemistry degree, but I had relevant experience, and the manager of the Tech Department was a practical guy. I drove home after hearing that they'd get back to me, and wondered if I had done well at the interview. When I got home, my wife told me where I had to go for a medical check-up, and that I would start next Monday.

I had spoken to 3 engineers and the department head and didn't think that I had done all that well.

I had a similar experience going for a job as a researcher in psychiatry at a school of medicine.

The supervisor would have hired me with the opening at that time of the interview but he said he had to hire a registered nurse with a psychology degree who was Latina who also applied. The supervisor thought she may start a discrimination suit if he didn't hire her, even though I didn't have a degree or experience in psychology or psychiatry. I got the next opening though.

So, Dolphiney, there may be other things at play that you don't know.

Related to Did I Fail the Job Interview?

1. Why did you fail for a job in astronomy?

There are a variety of reasons why someone may not be successful in obtaining a job in astronomy. It could be due to a lack of experience, not meeting the specific requirements or qualifications, or simply being outcompeted by other candidates.

2. Is a degree in astronomy necessary for a job in the field?

While a degree in astronomy or a related field is often preferred, it is not always necessary for a job in astronomy. Many employers also value experience and skills in areas such as mathematics, physics, and computer science.

3. How can I increase my chances of getting a job in astronomy?

Aside from obtaining the necessary education and experience, networking and building connections within the astronomy community can greatly increase your chances of getting a job. It is also important to continuously update and improve your skills and knowledge in the field.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are highly sought after in the astronomy field?

Some common skills and qualities that are highly valued in the astronomy field include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Communication and adaptability are also important skills to have.

5. What other career options are available for someone interested in astronomy?

Aside from traditional jobs in research and academia, there are many other career options available for those interested in astronomy. These include roles in science communication and outreach, data analysis and visualization, and space technology development.