Did I Overlook Eddington Luminosity in Solar Wind Mass Loss Calculation?

• Thread starter AStaunton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Luminosity
In summary, the estimated rate of mass loss from the sun, assuming spherical symmetry, is approximately 2.0757*10^-14 solar masses per year. This calculation takes into account the measured velocity of the solar wind at Earth (400km/s) and the proton density of the wind (7 particles/cm^3). This assumes that protons are the only particles blown away, which is a good approximation. The Eddington Luminosity is not a factor in this calculation as it only applies to much larger stars.
AStaunton
Hi there

Problem is:

Assuming spherical Symmetry, estimate the rate of mass loss from the sun, if at the Earth, the measured velocity of the solar wind is 400km/s and the proton density of the wind is roughly 7 particles/cm^3. Give your answer in solar Masses per year.

My attempted solution:

as proton density is 7particles per cm^3 this equals 7*10^6 particles per m^3.
as the speed is 400km per sec this is 4*10^5m per sec

multiply these values to get proton flux:
(7*10^6)*(4*10^5)=2.8*10^12protons m^-2 s^-1

find the surface area of the relevant sphere, this will have radius of 1AU as this flux is measured at the Earth:

A=4*3.14*(1.49598*10^11)^2=2.810873*10^23m^2

now we can find the total protons passing through the entire surface and of course this equals total protons leaving the sun:

(2.810873*10^23)*(2.8*10^12)=7.87044*10^35 protons s^-1

convert this to kg per second:

say proton mass= 1.6727*10^-27kg

so (7.87044*10^35)*(1.627*10^-27)=1316409794kg s^-1

convert to kg per year:

31536000 seconds per year so:

1316409794*31536000=4.151429928*10^16kg per year

find what fraction this mass is of the mass of sun:

(4.151429928*10^16)/(2*10^30)=2.0757*10^-14

so that means mass lost per year this way is (2.0757*10^-14)solarmasses per year.

When I first read this question, I thought it would involve some calculations regarding the Eddington Luminosity as this is what governs how much mass is blown away...however, the final method that I used did not need that, so can someone please confirm that I did not miss anything or over simplify?

Also, the question speaks of protons in the solar wind, is it safe to assume (as I did in the solution) that these are the only particles blown away?

Any feedback appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your calculations in detail, but the methodology looks good. And the answer sounds reasonable.

AStaunton said:
When I first read this question, I thought it would involve some calculations regarding the Eddington Luminosity as this is what governs how much mass is blown away...however, the final method that I used did not need that, so can someone please confirm that I did not miss anything or over simplify?
The eddington luminosity does not govern how much mass is blown away for the sun---because the sun is not 'eddington limited.' The eddington limit established an approximate maximum mass of a star, but that mass is about 2 orders of magnitude larger than our sun.

AStaunton said:
Also, the question speaks of protons in the solar wind, is it safe to assume (as I did in the solution) that these are the only particles blown away?
That is not only a good approximation, but also the standard one. Electrons are blown away at about the same rate, but their mass is negligible (2000x smaller than proton). Additionally, the amount of heavier elements (e.g. He) in the solar wind is small compared to H (protons). I'd assume the detailed solar-wind composition is roughly the same as the sun overall (thus you could look up the specific composition).

Related to Did I Overlook Eddington Luminosity in Solar Wind Mass Loss Calculation?

1. What is Eddington Luminosity?

Eddington Luminosity is a concept in astrophysics that refers to the maximum amount of luminosity that a star can emit before the radiation pressure from the star's energy output exceeds the gravitational force pulling material inward.

2. How is Eddington Luminosity calculated?

Eddington Luminosity is calculated using the Eddington Limit equation, which takes into account the mass and composition of the star. It is also affected by factors such as temperature and radius of the star.

3. Why is Eddington Luminosity important in astronomy?

Eddington Luminosity is important because it helps us understand the behavior and evolution of stars. It also plays a crucial role in determining the stability of a star and its ability to sustain its energy output.

4. Can Eddington Luminosity change over time?

Yes, Eddington Luminosity can change over time as a star evolves. As a star burns through its fuel, its mass and composition can change, which can affect its Eddington Luminosity.

5. What happens if a star exceeds its Eddington Luminosity?

If a star exceeds its Eddington Luminosity, the radiation pressure will be stronger than the gravitational force, causing the star to lose mass through powerful stellar winds. This can lead to a decrease in the star's luminosity and potentially even its destruction.