Did I set up my integral correctly?

In summary, to find the volume of the solid in the first octant bounded by the plane x+2y+3z=6 and the cylinder x^2+y^2=4, we can use a triple integral with lower bounds of 0 and upper bounds of 2 for x, 0 and the square root of 4-x^2 for y, and 0 and 2-(1/3)x-(2/3)y for z. The lower bound for z should be 0, not x^2+y^2-4, as this would result in a different solid.
qq545282501

Homework Statement

use triple integral to find volume of the solid in the first octant that is bounded above by[tex] x+2y+3z=6[/tex] and laterally by the clyinder [tex]x^2+y^2=4[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the given plane I got:
[tex]Z=2-\frac{1} {3}x-\frac{2} {3}y[/tex]
from the given Cylinder i got:
[tex]y=\sqrt{4-x^2}[/tex]

since its only interested in the first octant, lower bounds should all be zero.

so I get [tex]\int_{x=0}^2\int_{y=0}^\sqrt{4-x^2} \int_{z=0}^{2-\frac{1} {3}x-\frac{2} {3}y} \,dz \, dy \, dx[/tex]

my concern is with Z's lower bound, I think it should be 0 as well, but if using [tex]z=x^2+y^2-4[/tex] seems like also okay, but being this way, this cylinder became a different solid, it became an infinite paraboloid. so that means I can't just set [tex]z=x^2+y^2-4[/tex] ? because the Z value of an infinite cylinder does not depend on x or y?

Physics news on Phys.org
qq545282501 said:

Homework Statement

use triple integral to find volume of the solid in the first octant that is bounded above by[tex] x+2y+3z=6[/tex] and laterally by the clyinder [tex]x^2+y^2=4[/tex]

Homework Equations

so I get [tex]\int_{x=0}^2\int_{y=0}^\sqrt{4-x^2} \int_{z=0}^{2-\frac{1} {3}x-\frac{2} {3}y} \,dz \, dy \, dx[/tex]
Looks fine to me.
qq545282501 said:
my concern is with Z's lower bound, I think it should be 0 as well
Yes. You're in the first octant, where ##x \ge 0, y \ge 0##, and ##z \ge 0##.
qq545282501 said:
, but if using [tex]z=x^2+y^2-4[/tex] seems like also okay
No, it's not. The equation of the cylinder is ##x^2 + y^2 = 4##. z is completely arbitrary, so you can't just stick it in the equation.
qq545282501 said:
, but being this way, this cylinder became a different solid, it became an infinite paraboloid. so that means I can't just set [tex]z=x^2+y^2-4[/tex] ? because the Z value of an infinite cylinder does not depend on x or y?

Likes qq545282501
qq545282501 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

my concern is with Z's lower bound, I think it should be 0 as well, but if using [tex]z=x^2+y^2-4[/tex] seems like also okay, but being this way, this cylinder became a different solid, it became an infinite paraboloid. so that means I can't just set [tex]z=x^2+y^2-4[/tex] ? because the Z value of an infinite cylinder does not depend on x or y?

The "equation" ##z = x^2+y^2-4## has no connection to the problem, because the lowest point on the plane and the curve ##x^2+y^2=4## has positive ##z##. Therefore, the lowest value of ##z## is ##z = 0## and the top face of the cylinder does not come down that far. In short, you setup is correct.

BTW: thanks for using a typed version, which in this case is do-able because no diagrams are needed.

Likes qq545282501
got it. thank you all.

Related to Did I set up my integral correctly?

1. What is an integral and why is it important?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is important because it allows us to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I know if I set up my integral correctly?

One way to check if you have set up your integral correctly is to graph the function and the interval you are integrating over. The integral should represent the area between the x-axis and the curve. Additionally, you can also check your work by using different methods such as substitution or integration by parts to see if you get the same result.

3. What are common mistakes when setting up integrals?

Common mistakes when setting up integrals include forgetting to include the limits of integration, using the wrong variable for integration, and not accounting for negative values. It is also important to pay attention to the order of the limits, as switching them can change the result of the integral.

4. Can I use any method to set up an integral?

While there are many methods for setting up integrals, it is important to choose the appropriate method based on the function and the interval being integrated over. Some methods, such as substitution and integration by parts, work better for certain types of functions. It is also important to consider the symmetry of the function and use properties such as the even and odd functions to simplify the integral.

5. How can I improve my skills in setting up integrals?

The best way to improve your skills in setting up integrals is to practice regularly. Start with simple functions and gradually move on to more complex ones. It is also helpful to review the properties and rules of integration and work through examples to gain a better understanding. Seeking help from a tutor or instructor can also be beneficial in improving your skills.