Did I Solve the Triple Integral Correctly in Cylindrical Coordinates?

In summary, after converting the integral to cylindrical coordinates and correcting a few small errors, the final answer is 2π/3. Keep up the good work!
lightgreen

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integral by changing to cylindrical coordinates:
I displayed the question and my attempt in the document attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempt is in the document attached. Please help me to check whether I get the answer correct or not.

Attachments

• math.doc
    74 KB · Views: 185
Physics news on Phys.org

After reviewing your attempt, I can confirm that you have correctly converted the integral to cylindrical coordinates. However, there are a few small errors in your calculation.

First, when substituting the limits of integration, you forgot to convert the upper limit of z from 2 to 4. It should be 4cosθ instead of 2cosθ.

Second, when evaluating the integral, you forgot to include the factor of r in the numerator of the integrand. It should be r²sinθ instead of just sinθ.

With these corrections, your final answer should be (π/2)(4/3) = 2π/3, which is the correct answer. Good job on converting the integral correctly! Keep up the good work.

Related to Did I Solve the Triple Integral Correctly in Cylindrical Coordinates?

1. What is triple integration?

Triple integration is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape by dividing it into infinitely small sections and summing their volumes.

2. How do you evaluate a triple integral?

To evaluate a triple integral, you first need to determine the bounds of integration for each variable. Then, you can use the properties of integration to simplify the integral and solve for the result.

3. What is the purpose of checking the answer for a triple integral?

Checking the answer for a triple integral is important to ensure that the calculations were done correctly. It also allows you to catch any mistakes or errors in the integration process.

4. What are some common mistakes when evaluating a triple integral?

Some common mistakes when evaluating a triple integral include incorrectly setting up the bounds of integration, forgetting to include the correct constants, and making calculation errors.

5. How is triple integration used in real-world applications?

Triple integration is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate volumes, masses, and other important quantities. It is also used in computer graphics to model three-dimensional objects.