Did I understand sound refraction (am I doing it right)?

In summary, the angle of refraction for a wave moving through air is 13° and the angle moves away from the line of symmetry.
Amar

Homework Statement

Moving through air, a wave hits a steady area of water with a angle of 13°. The velocity of the wave in air is 550 m/s and in the water 1650 m/s. What is the refraction angle of the wave? Does the angle move away or to the line of symmetry?
Btw. I think I translated it correctly from Bosnian so correct me if it's wrong

Homework Equations

So I didn't understand it so I went looking on the internet and found out it has to do something with some Huygenss dude.
Anyway this is what I went with :
sinα/sinβ = c1/c2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I got was β = 41°(nearly)
and the wave goes away from the line of symmetry

Physics news on Phys.org
Amar said:

Homework Statement

Moving through air, a wave hits a steady area of water with a angle of 13°. The velocity of the wave in air is 550 m/s and in the water 1650 m/s. What is the refraction angle of the wave? Does the angle move away or to the line of symmetry?
Btw. I think I translated it correctly from Bosnian so correct me if it's wrong
The translation is okay as far as it goes, but a couple of points need clarification: First, what is the 13° angle measured with respect to? Second, what is the "line of symmetry"? Is it the normal (perpendicular) to the interface between the two media?

Homework Equations

So I didn't understand it so I went looking on the internet and found out it has to do something with some Huygenss dude.
You should also have come across Snell and Descartes.
Anyway this is what I went with :
sinα/sinβ = c1/c2
3. The Attempt at a Solution

What I got was β = 41°(nearly)
and the wave goes away from the line of symmetry
Maybe you should keep a few more decimal places in your intermediate calculations; I get a value that is just a little bit larger than that assuming that the angles are measured with respect to the normal.

Likes Amar
gneill said:
First, what is the 13° angle measured with respect to? Second, what is the "line of symmetry"? Is it the normal (perpendicular) to the interface between the two media?
Thanks for pointing that out. Yes the 'line of symmetry' should be the normal to the interface ( it's actually called that in my language but I didn't think it would apply to English too). And the angle is closed by the interface and normal.
gneill said:
Maybe you should keep a few more decimal places in your intermediate calculations; I get a value that is just a little bit larger than that assuming that the angles are measured with respect to the normal.
So I'm guessing that my attempt was correct. My result was 41°17'59,54'' and that's just a bit larger :D
Thanks for the reply :)
----------------------

Related to Did I understand sound refraction (am I doing it right)?

1. What causes sound refraction?

Sound refraction is caused by a change in the speed of sound as it travels through different mediums. This change in speed can occur due to variations in temperature, pressure, or density of the medium.

2. How do I know if I am understanding sound refraction correctly?

You can determine if you are understanding sound refraction correctly by observing the path of sound waves as they travel through different mediums. If the sound waves bend towards areas of higher density, then you are correctly understanding sound refraction.

3. Is sound refraction the same as sound reflection?

No, sound refraction and sound reflection are two different phenomena. Sound refraction is the bending of sound waves as they pass through different mediums, while sound reflection is the bouncing back of sound waves off of a surface.

4. How does sound refraction affect the sound we hear?

Sound refraction can affect the sound we hear by changing the direction and intensity of the sound waves. This can cause the sound to appear louder or quieter, and can also make it seem like it is coming from a different direction than its source.

5. Can we control sound refraction?

Yes, we can control sound refraction by manipulating the mediums through which sound waves travel. For example, we can use lenses or curved surfaces to focus or disperse sound waves, respectively, and change the path of the sound waves.