Did James Clerk Maxwell Ever Draw a Picture of an Electromagnetic Wave?

In summary, James Clerk Maxwell was not the first one to draw a picture of an electromagnetic wave. The first known example was by Heinrich Hertz in the 1880's, but some believe that Oliver Heaviside was the true pioneer in shaping Maxwell's laws and creating the concept of the electromagnetic wave. However, there is no concrete evidence to support this claim.
RelativeQuant
Did James Clerk Maxwell Ever Draw a Picture of an Electromagnetic Wave in any of his notebooks?

Who was the first one to draw one? Would love to find the first picture representing it all!

I am looking for the first example of a drawing looking like this showing the perpendicular sinusoidal E & M waves of a propagating photon:

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/electromagnetic/electromagneticjavafigure1.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...niv&sa=X&ei=kmdeVNJg0M-IAtrEgJAH&ved=0CDgQsAQ

Thanks!

Who was the first one to draw one? Would love to find the first picture representing it!

Or at least an early one.

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
It was probably Heinrich Hertz in the 1880's.

Thanks! Does anyone else have any ideas regarding this? Thanks! :)

My vote is Oliver heaverstead who made vector calculus and made maxwell's laws into what they are today. But don't have proof.

Cool4Kat said:
Oliver heaverstead

I think you mean Oliver Heaviside.

Likes Cool4Kat
Vanadium 50 said:
I think you mean Oliver Heaviside.
I think you are right. Sorry about that!

FAQ: Did James Clerk Maxwell Ever Draw a Picture of an Electromagnetic Wave?

1. What is the significance of James Clerk Maxwell's drawing of an electromagnetic wave?

James Clerk Maxwell's drawing of an electromagnetic wave, which he published in his 1865 paper "A Dynamical Theory of the Electromagnetic Field," was a crucial step towards understanding the nature of electricity and magnetism. It showed for the first time how electric and magnetic fields are interconnected and propagate through space in the form of waves.

2. Did James Clerk Maxwell personally draw the picture of an electromagnetic wave?

Yes, James Clerk Maxwell himself drew the picture of an electromagnetic wave in his 1865 paper. He was known for being a skilled mathematician and artist, and his drawing accurately represented the mathematical equations he had developed to describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

3. How does Maxwell's drawing of an electromagnetic wave compare to modern depictions?

Maxwell's drawing of an electromagnetic wave is very similar to modern depictions. However, it is a two-dimensional representation, whereas modern depictions often show the wave propagating in three dimensions. Additionally, modern depictions may also include labels or arrows to indicate the direction of the electric and magnetic fields.

4. Are there any other drawings or illustrations of electromagnetic waves from this time period?

Yes, there are several other drawings and illustrations of electromagnetic waves from the same time period as Maxwell's 1865 paper. These include drawings by Michael Faraday, Heinrich Hertz, and Oliver Heaviside. However, Maxwell's drawing is considered to be the most influential and accurate representation.

5. How did Maxwell's drawing of an electromagnetic wave impact the scientific community?

Maxwell's drawing of an electromagnetic wave sparked a revolution in the scientific community. It provided a visual representation of his mathematical equations, which helped to solidify the concept of electromagnetic waves and laid the foundation for future studies in electromagnetism. His work also contributed to the development of modern technologies such as radio, television, and wireless communication.