Did the Break Shot Break the Pool Record?

• Thread starter beginner33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the winner of the pool competition wants to know if he has broken the world record for his break shot of 32mph. The distance the ball landed from the edge of the table is given as 3.65m. To calculate the break shot speed, we need to find the time it took the ball to travel that distance. To do so, we can look at the ball's vertical motion, starting at a height of 0.71m and accelerating towards the floor at 9.8 m/s^2. Using an equation that relates time, distance, and acceleration, we can calculate the time in the air. Then, this time can be plugged into the horizontal motion problem, along with the known distance,
beginner33

Homework Statement

the top of the pool table is 0.710m from the floor. the placement of the tape is such at 0m aligns to the edge of the table. the winner of the competition wants to know if he has broken the world record for the break shot of 32mph ( about 14.3m/s) the ball landed a distance of 3.65m from the table edge.

1. calculate his break shot speed
2. at what speed did his pool ball hit the ground?

Homework Equations

speed=distance/time m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

givens are 32mph, and the distance which is 3.65m... the height(im not even really sure if this relates to the problem) is 0.710m. I am not sure what the 0m has to do with this either. I'm pretty sure I am suppose to find the time now since i have the distance 3.65m.
sorry if this information sucks but i just started physics 3 days ago and the class pace is obviously too fast for me. it would help if u provide a step by step explanation process. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the 0m is given just so that you know the distance from the table's edge is 3.65-0 or 3.65m.

I would begin this one by looking at the table's height. How long does it take an object to fall 0.71m? Its initial vertical speed is 0.

In projectile motion problems (such as this one) you can always consider the motion in the horizontal direction and the motion in the vertical direction as two separate problems and tackle them one at a time.

Let's tackle question 1 first. You want to know the horizontal speed of the ball. As you pointed out in your relevant equations, to calculate the horizontal speed of the ball you need to know the distance it traveled and the time it took to do so. You know the distance already—it's given as 3.65 m. But you need to know how long it takes to travel that distance. Hm.

To figure out the time the ball spends in the air, we'll switch over to thinking about its vertical motion for a bit. We'll completely ignore what it's doing horizontally now. Vertically, our situation is that a ball starts at rest 0.71 m in the air. Due to gravity, it will accelerate toward the floor at 9.8 m/s2. We want to know how long it will take to travel the 0.71 m to the floor. Do you know an equation that relates time, distance, and acceleration?

Once you figure out which equation you can use to find the time in the air, then you can go back and plug that time into the horizontal problem, to find the horizontal speed.

Related to Did the Break Shot Break the Pool Record?

1. How do you calculate speed?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for calculating speed is: speed = distance / time.

2. What units are used to measure speed?

Speed is typically measured in units of distance per unit of time, such as miles per hour (mph), kilometers per hour (km/h), or meters per second (m/s).

3. How does speed relate to velocity?

Speed and velocity are closely related, but they are not the same thing. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not.

4. Can speed be negative?

Yes, speed can be negative. A negative speed indicates that an object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction you have chosen. For example, if you choose to define the positive direction as going east, then a negative speed would indicate that the object is moving west.

5. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. It gives an overall picture of how fast an object is moving. Instantaneous speed, on the other hand, is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by measuring the distance the object traveled in a very short amount of time.