Did We Really Miss It?: The Perverted TV Host Scandal

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary: This is the kind of thinking that has kept women from achieving equality for centuries. The fact is, women have been exploited by men in the past, and they will continue to be so as long as sexism exists.I find this interesting: ErIn summary, David Letterman admitted to having sex with women who worked on his show, and some people think this is a bad thing because it reinforces sexist stereotypes about women.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
How did everyone not know?!

It was clear that he was perverted on his show. Whenever he had female guests, he would stare down at them all the time. The very reason why I never watched him in the first. Is everyone that oblivious?

My opinion of course stays the same regardless of this "scandal" that is going on.

For those of you who watched the show, did you really not notice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to watch Letterman when he was on NBC. I actually was a fan when he was the regular guest-host for Johnny Carson. By the time he left NBC, his humor (which I really enjoyed at the time) had run its course. It was around that time I no longer stayed up late.

But back then, no I never noticed such "lecherousness." I might have been oblivious, but I don't think so. Maybe he sort of became more so as he got richer and older. That often happens to people.

The guy is over sixty and has a 5 year old child, what does that tell you?

Personally, I never liked the guy or his gay friend with the glasses that plays keyboard.

What I find most shocking is that ANY one would want to have sex with him at all.

Ah, horrid old, rich man!

Virtuous, young female gold diggers have all been exploited, haven't they?

JasonRox said:
How did everyone not know?!

It was clear that he was perverted on his show. Whenever he had female guests, he would stare down at them all the time. The very reason why I never watched him in the first. Is everyone that oblivious?

My opinion of course stays the same regardless of this "scandal" that is going on.

For those of you who watched the show, did you really not notice?

<rolls me eyes at you>

Okay, I don't even know what this thread is about. :confused: Maybe it's because I don't watch Letterman. I really never liked his show; it always seemed pretty stupid/juvenile. I'm glad Leno is back on, and earlier now. I can't stand Conan either, so am running out of things to watch late at night when I can't sleep.

arildno said:
Ah, horrid old, rich man!

Virtuous, young female gold diggers have all been exploited, haven't they?

Here is another helpless victim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LYV9AZNlFU

So the gist of this thread is that because someone appears to have committed a crime against Letterman, who so far only admits to having sex with women on his staff, one of whom he married, Letterman is a letch?

What's more, this is based on the opinion of someone who claims that he didn't watch the show?

At this point it sounds to me like Letterman took down a crook because he refused to be intimidated. Good for him!

I find it amazing that his ratings went through the roof on the West Coast.
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/0...s-conan-in-preliminary-thursday-results/29279

"David Letterman and CBS’s Late Show (1.2/6 rating/share for adults 18-49) bested Conan and Tonight Show (1.0/5) according to Nielsen’s 24 local markets with People Meters.

Conan narrowly prevailed with the younger 18-34 crowd though 0.7/4 vs. 0.6/3"

I don't see any problem with him having sex.

I liked Letterman into the mid/late 90's, but then it got where if I did stay up that late I'd prefer to waste time surfing the web than watching TV.

Topher925 said:
The guy is over sixty and has a 5 year old child, what does that tell you?

Personally, I never liked the guy or his gay friend with the glasses that plays keyboard.

Tells me you don't know squat about him, but jump to conclusions.

Ivan Seeking said:
At this point it sounds to me like Letterman took down a crook because he refused to be intimidated. Good for him!

That's my understanding. Someone was blackmailing him, trying to extort money from him, and threatening to expose the fact that he'd had sex with some female members of his staff over the years. So he and his lawyer planned a sting in the form form of a fake payment and Letterman himself confessed to anything the person could have possibly exposed, and the person was arrested.

He was smart, did the right thing, had some balls and some courage, and stopped a crime against himself.

I'm trying to figure out what's to mock.

I didn't know anything about this.

I've got to applaud him for his cahones.

I find this interesting:

"I have had sex with women who worked on this show," Letterman told the audience matter-of-factly. "And would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Perhaps it would. Especially for the women."

Erin Matson, action vice president for the National Organization for Women, called Letterman's jocularity offensive.

"That plays into same old sex stereotypes that men can do whatever but women should be ashamed of their sexuality," she said.

Ms. Matson seems to think that Mr. Letterman felt the women would be ashamed that they had sex.

She seems to completely miss the far more likely meaning that Mr. Letterman felt the women would be ashamed that they had sex with him.

Letterman was obviously being self-deprecatory for the humour value.

rootX said:
I don't see any problem with him having sex.

me neither. whose business is it, anyway? it doesn't make him "lecherous", either.

DaveC426913 said:
She seems to completely miss the far more likely meaning that Mr. Letterman felt the women would be ashamed that they had sex with him.

That's exactly how I heard it, too! But no one I know heard it this way...well, I don't care. It's much funnier the way we heard it, Dave.

DaveC426913 said:
I didn't know anything about this.

I've got to applaud him for his cahones.

I find this interesting:

"I have had sex with women who worked on this show," Letterman told the audience matter-of-factly. "And would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Perhaps it would. Especially for the women."

Erin Matson, action vice president for the National Organization for Women, called Letterman's jocularity offensive.

"That plays into same old sex stereotypes that men can do whatever but women should be ashamed of their sexuality," she said.

Ms. Matson seems to think that Mr. Letterman felt the women would be ashamed that they had sex.

Does it really matter what Ms. Matson says or thinks? Who is she? I've never heard about her - why should I care?

lisab said:
That's exactly how I heard it, too!

Same here. I have nothing against him as a person, but I've never liked his humour. I only saw the 'confession' because it was on the news. Good on him for taking the blackmailer down.

lisab said:
That's exactly how I heard it, too! But no one I know heard it this way...well, I don't care. It's much funnier the way we heard it, Dave.

This is the clincher. He is a comedian after all.

The only thing I never liked about him was how much of a jealous control freak he is on air. He hates it when his guests get any limelight and will immediately steal it back.

I was really unimpressed with his handling of Kreskin. Kreskin is a has-been and we all know he's a trickster. So there was no harm in letting him have some dignity in showing his final trick. Kreskin asked. Letterman refused.

Proton Soup said:
me neither. whose business is it, anyway? it doesn't make him "lecherous", either.

As far as who's business it is, he told his entire audience. Doesn't that make it everyones business now??

Cyrus said:
Does it really matter what Ms. Matson says or thinks? Who is she? I've never heard about her - why should I care?
Besides, she's just a woman...

DaveC426913 said:

Dave - I just noticed this.:smile:

"And the sign said / Anybody caught trespassin' / Will be shot on sight.
So I jumped on the fence / And I yelled at the house / "Hey! What gives y* -=>BLAM<=-
*thud*
(Dude! Didn't you see the sign? Jeez!)"

DaveC426913 said:

...with an agenda.

lisab said:

That's the first I heard of it (I have since at least caught some context of what this thread is about from the news, but haven't bothered reading much of it). I took it the same way...self-deprecating humor. Or, possibly they would be embarrassed having it revealed now that they had sex with him if they've moved on and weren't expecting their sexual relationships to become public news. Most people would be embarrassed at least a little if their sexual escapades were revealed to the public by their former sexual partner. As long as sex with his staff wasn't part of the conditions of their promotion, so what?

Moonbear said:
Most people would be embarrassed at least a little if their sexual escapades were revealed to the public by their former sexual partner.
This is what Ms. Mattson seems to think he meant. Her complaint is then: "Why women more than men, David?"

DaveC426913 said:
This is what Ms. Mattson seems to think he meant. Her complaint is then: "Why women more than men, David?"

It's clear what her complaint is, but it is also clear to anyone who:
a) saw the clip
b) has a sense of humor that isn't clouded by outrage
c) is familiar with Letterman's tendency toward self-depreciating comments

that the intent was to point out that it would be more embarrassing to the women because people would find out that they did it with David Letterman, and you know, ew!

It was a national confession, but it was still Letterman in front of an audience so he was going to say something funny. Whether or not it was actually funny is a different matter. The chiming-in of Ms. Mattson may be earnest due to (b), but honestly, it is a stretch to believe that Letterman intended to mean that women should be more embarrassed by workplace sex than men.

Something else that really has to be taken into consideration is that almost all men have sex with their staff.

Ivan Seeking said:
Something else that really has to be taken into consideration is that almost all men have sex with their staff.

how many men did you poll to reach that conclusion?

I wonder if its only the people in his staff that he has had sex with?

Ivan Seeking said:

Hmmm...I've worked for men nearly all my life (I had a female boss for about a year), and I've never had sex with any of my bosses.

Come to think of it, none of my female coworkers have ever told me they have, either.

OK, full disclosure regarding those two comments...yes I've been approached, i.e. bosses have wanted the relationship to become more than an employee-boss situation but thank goodness I've had the sense to run away from those situations. And since I'm in a male dominated field, I don't have a lot of female coworkers, so it's a very small sample size.

Ivan Seeking said:

Are we being pun(ny)? :wink:

GeorginaS said:

GeorginaS wins the golden peanut award!

Quick definitions (staff)

▸ noun: a strong rod or stick with a specialized utilitarian purpose [etc etc etc]

GeorginaS said:

Or a bit of double entendre. Ivan is sneaky that way :smile:

Ahahahaha...:smile: