Did You Solve the Diff Eq Problem?

In summary, the conversation involves finding y as a function of t from a differential equation with initial conditions. The participant used the quadratic formula to solve for r and obtained c1=8. However, when trying to find y'(0), there was a mistake and the final equation obtained was not correct. The expert summarizer apologizes for the mistake and thanks the participant for their input.
glid02
Crap, nevermind, I left b^2 out of the quadratic formula, thanks anyways.

Here's the question:
Find y as a function of t from the diff eq:
y''+6y'+25y=0 with the initial conditions y(0)=8 and y'(0)=8

I used the form r^2+6r+25=0 to solve for r and through the quadratic equation got r = -3+/-5i
so my equation now looks like
c1*e^(-3t)*cos(5t)+c2*e^(-3t)*sin(5t)=8
The second part of the equation cancels and I'm left with c1=8
Now to find y'(0) I have:
-3*c1*e^(-3t)*cos(5t)+c1*e^(-3t)*(-5*sin(5t))+-3*c2*e^(-3t)*sin(5t)
+c2*e^(-3t)*(5*cos(5t))
The second and third terms in that cancel out and I'm left with
-3*c1*e^(-3t)*cos(5t)+c2*e^(-3t)*5*cos(5t), and plugging in 0 for t and 8 for c1 I get:
-24+5*c2=8
5*c2=32
c2=32/5

So the final equation looks like
8*e^(-3t)*cos(5t)+32/5*e^(-3t)*sin(5t)

This isn't right and I can't figure out what I did wrong. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
glid02 said:
Crap, nevermind, I left b^2 out of the quadratic formula, thanks anyways.

Does this mean you've solved the problem?

FAQ: Did You Solve the Diff Eq Problem?

1. What is a second order differential equation with i?

A second order differential equation with i is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its first derivative, and its second derivative, where i represents the imaginary unit.

2. What is the purpose of using i in a second order differential equation?

The use of i in a second order differential equation allows for the inclusion of complex numbers, which can help solve certain types of problems that involve oscillating or rotating systems.

3. How do you solve a second order differential equation with i?

To solve a second order differential equation with i, you can use methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or series solutions. It is important to keep track of the imaginary terms in the equation and treat them accordingly.

4. What are the applications of second order differential equations with i?

Second order differential equations with i have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where complex numbers are used to model real-world systems. Some examples include electrical circuits, mechanical vibrations, and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any special considerations when solving second order differential equations with i?

Yes, when solving second order differential equations with i, it is important to check for complex conjugate roots and use the appropriate methods to solve for the real and imaginary parts of the solution. Additionally, the initial conditions must be specified for both the real and imaginary parts of the solution.

Back