Dielectric and energy. I probably did it wrong, no I DID IT WRONG.

In summary, the conversation involved discussing a problem involving electrical potential difference and capacitance. The speaker provided a solution where the only change is the capacitance, resulting in a final equation of U = κU0. The question was whether or not this method was correct, to which the speaker confirmed it was.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6749/kappam.jpg

Homework Equations

U = (1/2)CV2

V = V0/k

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) [tex]\Delta V_0= \Delta V[/tex] <==== Electrical potential difference is constant since the battery was never removed.

(2) [tex]\kappa Q_0 = Q[/tex] <=== Since the battery is NOT removed and therefore the potential difference must rema

Divide (2) by (1) and I get

[tex]\kappa C_0 = C[/tex]

[tex]U_0 = \frac{1}{2}C_0\Delta V_0^2[/tex]

Now then the only change is the capacitance and so we have

[tex]U = \frac{1}{2}C\Delta V_0^2[/tex]

[tex]U = \frac{1}{2}(\kappa C_0){\Delta V_0^2}[/tex]

Pull out kappa and we get

[tex]U = \kappa \frac{1}{2}C_0\Delta V_0^2[/tex]

Which should be recognized as U = κU0For part b) is the question already been answered? That is κQ0 = Q

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No I take it back, I did it right. Except for part b), I feel like it's asking for something else

Both (a) & (b) are fine.

Perhaps the author of the question had a different method of solution in mind; one in which (a) would be answered before (b).

FAQ: Dielectric and energy. I probably did it wrong, no I DID IT WRONG.

1. What is a dielectric material?

A dielectric material is a type of insulating material that does not conduct electricity. It is used in electronic components to prevent the flow of electric current and store electrical energy.

2. How does a dielectric material store energy?

A dielectric material stores energy by creating an electric field when it is placed in an electric field. This causes the molecules in the material to become polarized, with positive and negative charges separated, which results in the storage of electrical energy.

3. What is the role of dielectric materials in capacitors?

Dielectric materials are used in capacitors to increase the capacitance, or ability to store charge, of the device. They are placed between two conductive plates and, when an electric field is applied, the dielectric material stores energy in the form of an electric field.

4. How do dielectric materials affect the performance of electronic devices?

Dielectric materials play a crucial role in the performance of electronic devices. They help to reduce interference and noise, increase capacitance and efficiency, and provide insulation for sensitive components.

5. Can a dielectric material be conductive?

No, a dielectric material is specifically designed to be a good insulator and not conduct electricity. However, some dielectric materials can become conductive under high temperatures or electric fields, which can cause damage to electronic devices.