Dielectric loss of SiO2 layers.

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for dielectric loss values of very thin SiO2 layers at high frequencies, specifically in the GHz range. It mentions using alumina as a high quality radome at these frequencies and suggests looking for information in the Antenna Designers Handbook. However, it is noted that the exact loss values will depend on the deposition process and other factors.
kpsr
Hello everyone,

Where can i get dielectric loss values of very thin SiO2 layers (nm) at high frequency range (GHz).?
i.e SiO2 oxide layer dielectric loss of MOS (metal-oxide-semiconductor).
I searched a lot on net but i didn't find any useful result, any reference is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
kpsr said:
Hello everyone,

Where can i get dielectric loss values of very thin SiO2 layers (nm) at high frequency range (GHz).?
i.e SiO2 oxide layer dielectric loss of MOS (metal-oxide-semiconductor).
I searched a lot on net but i didn't find any useful result, any reference is greatly appreciated.
Alumina is used as a high quality radome at GHz frequencies on spacecraft etc so I am sure the losses of a thin film will be quite negligible. Antenna Designers Handbook, (Vol 1 or 2) Edited by Rudge, I think talks about alumina as a window material.

tech99 said:
Alumina is used as a high quality radome at GHz frequencies on spacecraft etc so I am sure the losses of a thin film will be quite negligible. Antenna Designers Handbook, (Vol 1 or 2) Edited by Rudge, I think talks about alumina as a window material.
Apologies, wrong material (!) but I suspect it is very similar.

It depends quite a lot on how the SiO2 is deposited and the rest of the fabrication process so it is not something you can easily look up in a table, it is more the kind of thing you might find in a foundry spec sheet. "Normal" SiO2 deposited using e.g. e-beam is quite lossy. I'd say 10^-4 would be a reasonable guess for the loss tangent.

tech99 said:
Apologies, wrong material (!) but I suspect it is very similar.

Alumina can easily be an order of magnitude better than SiO2, but again it will depend on how it is deposited,

Related to Dielectric loss of SiO2 layers.

1. What is dielectric loss?

Dielectric loss is the loss of energy that occurs when an electric field is applied to a material. It is caused by the conversion of electrical energy into heat due to the inherent resistance of the material.

2. Why is the dielectric loss of SiO2 layers important?

The dielectric loss of SiO2 layers is important because it affects the performance of electronic devices. High dielectric loss can lead to decreased efficiency and reliability of these devices.

3. How is the dielectric loss of SiO2 layers measured?

The dielectric loss of SiO2 layers is typically measured using a technique called impedance spectroscopy. This involves applying an alternating current at different frequencies and measuring the resulting current and voltage.

4. What factors can affect the dielectric loss of SiO2 layers?

There are several factors that can affect the dielectric loss of SiO2 layers, including temperature, frequency, and the thickness of the layer. The quality and purity of the SiO2 layer can also have an impact on its dielectric loss.

5. How can the dielectric loss of SiO2 layers be reduced?

The dielectric loss of SiO2 layers can be reduced by using high-quality, pure SiO2 materials and optimizing the layer thickness. Additionally, using alternative materials with lower dielectric loss, such as silicon nitride, can also help to reduce overall dielectric loss in electronic devices.