Difference between hot and warm pixels?

In summary, the speaker has a practical assignment on Cosmic Rays for their first year at university. They are required to take two 15-minute exposures and use the "kill warm pixel" command in CCDOPS. They are unsure of the difference between hot and warm pixels and are seeking clarification. Another person suggests that warm pixels could be pixels that are slightly hot but still usable, or it could be a term used for political correctness.
the riddick25
i have an observatory practical to do, and being in my first year of uni, we are given guidelines on what we need to do.
the practical is on Cosmic Rays, and we will be taking two 15 minute exposures to record how many we get.

now my question, there is a step in the practical where we have to open the image in CCDOPS, and use the "kill warm pixel" command.
there is a question later asking about hot pixels and what you can see in the image, i already know what a hot pixel is, but i don't know what a warm pixel is, and if there is any difference between the two.

so, is there any difference between warm and hot pixels? and if they are different, could somebody explain what they are.

thanks in advance for any help you can provide

and sorry if this should be in the homework section

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Never heard of warm pixels - I suppose they could be pixels which are just a bit hot but still have data and so can be calibrated.

Or it could be political correctness, it's unfair to label pixels as hot - they are just 'warm', a bit like being 'visually challeneged' instead of blind

Related to Difference between hot and warm pixels?

1. What is the difference between hot and warm pixels?

Hot pixels are individual pixels on a camera sensor that produce a much higher electrical signal than the surrounding pixels, resulting in a brighter spot in the image. Warm pixels, on the other hand, produce a slightly higher electrical signal than the surrounding pixels, but not to the extent of hot pixels. This results in a less noticeable bright spot in the image.

2. Why do hot and warm pixels occur?

Hot and warm pixels occur due to defects in the camera sensor. These defects can be a result of manufacturing imperfections or wear and tear over time.

3. Are hot and warm pixels visible in all types of cameras?

Yes, hot and warm pixels can occur in all types of cameras, including DSLRs, point-and-shoot cameras, and even smartphone cameras.

4. Can hot and warm pixels be fixed?

Hot and warm pixels can be fixed through a process called pixel mapping. This involves identifying the hot and warm pixels and then remapping them to an average value based on the surrounding pixels. However, this process may not completely eliminate the issue and can also result in a decrease in image quality.

5. How can I prevent hot and warm pixels from occurring in my photos?

Unfortunately, hot and warm pixels are a natural occurrence in camera sensors and cannot be completely prevented. However, regularly cleaning your camera sensor and avoiding prolonged exposure to high temperatures can help reduce the occurrence of these pixels.