Difference between jerk in accerlation and deceleration?

In summary, Passionflower is saying that there is some kind of ambiguity in the definition of jerk and snap, which can be confusing.
Seminole Boy
Yes, I'm back to this Einstein jerk, but it's in an entirely different context. Please, mentors, do not close this until my problem is resolved.

Okay, when one accelerates, one feels the Einstein jerk (discussed midway through his book). When one decelerates, one feels the Einstein "jerk".

If space has no bounds, this means there is no real direction. The jerks are experienced "backwards" and "forwards", but that's essentially the same thing or the same "direction." Going "north" through spacetime is the same as going south, west, or east through spacetime. And the jerk the body experiences is the same whether it's done by acceleration or deceleration.

Okay. So how is acceleration any different from deceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Deceleration is simply acceleration in the opposite direction, so it is not different at all.

Okay. Thank you. That's what I wasn't understanding. Mentors, feel free to close this. I should have just emailed you or the Great Peter Donis.

One more note: I notice you use the term jerk which has a specific meaning in acceleration.

While acceleration is the second derivative of position, jerk is the third derivative of position. Velocity is the first derivative of position. All with respect to time.

Interestingly higher than 3 derivatives start to give 'problems' in relativity, if I remember correctly things no longer commute in higher derivatives with a result that there is no single one answer.

Passionflower, now you're confusing me. You're saying there is some kind of position hierarchy?

Seminole Boy said:
Passionflower, now you're confusing me. You're saying there is some kind of position hierarchy?
When something starts to move there are actually an infinite number of higher derivatives, but usually scientists do not worry too much about higher derivatives than 2.

Passionflower said:
Interestingly higher than 3 derivatives start to give 'problems' in relativity, if I remember correctly things no longer commute in higher derivatives with a result that there is no single one answer.

I'd be interested in some examples/references... Not disagreeing, but curious.

I looked around if I could find something.

See for instance chapter 2.1 and 2.2 in "Relativistic Kinematics and Stationary Motions" where jerk and snap are defined. http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.4243

In chapter 7 it states:

In the instantaneous rest-frame one can define the proper jerk j as in non-relativistic mechanics, but the D-vector jerk should not be defined simply as the proper-time derivative of the D-acceleration because (i) it is not orthogonal to the D-velocity U, and hence may be timelike, and (ii) it does not vanish for worldlines of constant|A|.
In contrast to the notions of proper acceleration and proper jerk, there is an ambiguity in the definition of proper snap, arising from the fact that the triple derivative with respect to coordinate time t does not coincide in the instantaneous rest-frame with the triple derivative with respect to proper time, whereas there is a coincidence for single and double derivatives

Related to Difference between jerk in accerlation and deceleration?

What is the difference between jerk in acceleration and deceleration?

Jerk is the rate of change of acceleration. In acceleration, jerk is positive as the object's acceleration is increasing, while in deceleration, jerk is negative as the object's acceleration is decreasing.

What is the unit of measurement for jerk?

The unit of measurement for jerk is meters per second cubed (m/s³).

How does jerk affect an object's motion?

Jerk can affect an object's motion by causing sudden and abrupt changes in its acceleration. This can lead to discomfort or even injury for the passengers in a vehicle, and can also put stress on the object's components.

Can jerk be controlled or minimized?

Yes, jerk can be controlled or minimized through careful design and engineering of the object's motion. This can include using smooth and gradual acceleration and deceleration, as well as implementing shock absorbers or other mechanisms to reduce the impact of jerk on the object's components and passengers.

Is there a limit to the amount of jerk an object can experience?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of jerk an object can experience. This is known as the “jerk limit” and it is often taken into consideration in engineering and design to ensure the safety and comfort of the object's passengers and components.