Difference between propositional language and set of all formulas

In summary, Rautenberg defines the propositional language ##\mathcal{F}## as the smallest set of strings satisfying certain properties, and this is achieved by taking the intersection over all sets of strings with those properties. This is similar to how the natural numbers can be defined as the smallest set of real numbers with certain properties.
V0ODO0CH1LD
I am currently reading Rautenberg's book on mathematical logic, in it he defines a propositional language ##\mathcal{F}##, set theoretically, as the smallest (i.e. the intersection) of all sets of strings ##S## built from propositional variables (##\ p_1,p_2,\ldots##) as well as any binary connectives on those variables, with the properties:
[tex] (1)\ p_1,p_2,\ldots\in{}S;\quad{}(2)\ \alpha,\beta\in{}S\Rightarrow(\alpha\circ\beta)\in{}S [/tex]
How does this definition work? Is ##S## supposed to be representing strings or a set? Is ##S## supposed to be the set of all strings with those properties? Or is ##\mathcal{F}##? Also, what am I supposed to be intersecting there?

Physics news on Phys.org
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
I am currently reading Rautenberg's book on mathematical logic, in it he defines a propositional language ##\mathcal{F}##, set theoretically, as the smallest (i.e. the intersection) of all sets of strings ##S## built from propositional variables (##\ p_1,p_2,\ldots##) as well as any binary connectives on those variables, with the properties:
[tex] (1)\ p_1,p_2,\ldots\in{}S;\quad{}(2)\ \alpha,\beta\in{}S\Rightarrow(\alpha\circ\beta)\in{}S [/tex]
How does this definition work? Is ##S## supposed to be representing strings or a set? Is ##S## supposed to be the set of all strings with those properties? Or is ##\mathcal{F}##? Also, what am I supposed to be intersecting there?

Not sure what you mean by the definition "working".

##S## is an arbitrary set of strings which has the two properties listed. The properties listed are properties of sets of strings, not properties of strings. ##\mathcal{F}## is a particular set of strings which has the two properties listed; the smallest such set in the sense that it is contained in all other such sets. The intersection is taking place over the family of all sets satisfying the two properties.

For comparison, one slightly shady way of defining the natural numbers is to say that ##\mathbb{N}## is the smallest of all sets ##S## of members of ##\mathbb{R}## with the properties:
[tex](1)\ 0\in S\text{ and }(2)\ x\in S\Rightarrow x+1\in S[/tex]

Related to Difference between propositional language and set of all formulas

What is propositional language?

Propositional language is a formal language used in logic and mathematics to represent statements or propositions. It consists of a set of symbols and rules for combining those symbols to create well-formed formulas.

What is the set of all formulas?

The set of all formulas, also known as the universe of discourse, is the collection of all possible formulas that can be created in a given propositional language. It includes all valid and invalid formulas.

What is the difference between propositional language and set of all formulas?

The main difference between propositional language and the set of all formulas is that propositional language is a formal language with specific symbols and rules, while the set of all formulas is a collection of all possible formulas that can be created using those symbols and rules.

Can propositional language be used to represent all types of logic?

No, propositional language is limited to representing propositional logic, which deals with simple statements and their logical relationships. It cannot be used to represent more complex forms of logic, such as predicate logic or modal logic.

Why is the set of all formulas important in propositional logic?

The set of all formulas is important because it allows us to analyze and manipulate all possible combinations of statements in propositional logic. It serves as the foundation for understanding logical systems and making deductions based on the rules of the language.