Difference between these two Griffiths Quantum Mechanics books

In summary, there are two links provided for the same book, with different ISBN numbers and prices on Amazon. After further research, it is found that the cheaper version is published by a different publisher and has a different number of pages and chapters. However, there may be quality concerns with this version. The author, Griffiths, has expressed disappointment with international editions of his books and suggests contacting the publisher for a clean copy. It is recommended to purchase the version recommended by the professor.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
1. Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131118927/?tag=pfamazon01-20
ISBN: 978-0131118928

This is the book that my class syllabus suggests based off ISBN number, however it is $119.00 to buy off Amazon.

2. Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1107179866/?tag=pfamazon01-20
ISBN: 978-1107179868

This book seems to be the same, second edition and all, but has a DIFFERENT ISBN and is only $66.64.

What is the difference, is there any difference, in these two links?Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Different publisher, different number of pages, and different number of chapters. Seems like the cheaper one got more chapters but with smaller number of pages. Yet it's still difficult to judge the printing quality of the book. May be you just go through the reviews to find out if someone actually compares the two versions.

Likes RJLiberator
Thank you for your observations.

Any other inputs on this situation? Would you just get the ISBN assigned via the class syllabus?

RJLiberator said:
Thank you for your observations.

Any other inputs on this situation? Would you just get the ISBN assigned via the class syllabus?
Well, what happens when the prof says, "Refer to Chapt X or page Y of the textbook?"

Likes RJLiberator
Here is what I think happened. Griffiths got fed up with missing chapters (and poor printing quality) of the international editions by Pearson and chose Cambridge as the new publisher instead.

From his website

Beware: I am appalled to discover that defective copies of Introduction to Electrodynamics (3rd and 4th editions) and Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (2nd edition), are selling in Europe, under imprints like "Pearson New International Edition." Some covers show a lightning bolt, or a jig-saw puzzle, whole chapters are sometimes missing (or in the wrong order), and the index contains nonsensical entries. There are probably other errors I did not notice. I am pleased that Pearson is putting out lower-priced (paperback) editions for the international market (given that the hardback American editions are so obscenely overpriced), but I cannot understand why they do not simply reprint the correct version verbatim. I suppose the defective copies will be adequate for most users, but I am acutely embarrassed, and I do apologize. If it becomes a problem, I suggest you contact the publisher, and request a clean copy. If that doesn't work, email me and I will send an electronic copy of the missing material.

I think the US versions of both the books will be identical but they may have different page numbers. You should, however, purchase the one your professor recommends for the reasons said in the earlier posts.

Likes vanhees71, Wrichik Basu and RJLiberator
Thank you guys for your help. I decided to e-mail the professor and he assigned the lower priced version of the book.

Likes Demystifier
RJLiberator said:
Thank you guys for your help. I decided to e-mail the professor and he assigned the lower priced version of the book.
Nice work!

Likes RJLiberator

Related to Difference between these two Griffiths Quantum Mechanics books

1. What is the difference between the first and second edition of Griffiths Quantum Mechanics?

The main difference between the two editions is that the second edition includes new topics and updated content. The second edition also has a more modern and streamlined approach, making it easier for students to understand complex concepts.

2. Which edition should I use for my studies?

Both editions are widely used in universities and have similar content. However, if you have access to both, it is recommended to use the second edition as it is more up-to-date and covers more topics.

3. Are there any significant changes in the second edition compared to the first edition?

Yes, the second edition includes new chapters on scattering theory, matrix notation, and quantum information. It also has expanded discussions on topics such as the Dirac delta function and time-independent perturbation theory.

4. Do both editions cover the same basic concepts of quantum mechanics?

Yes, both editions cover the fundamental principles and concepts of quantum mechanics, such as wave functions, operators, and the Schrödinger equation. However, the second edition has a more modern and comprehensive approach.

5. Is the first edition still relevant and useful for studying quantum mechanics?

Yes, the first edition is still a valuable resource for studying quantum mechanics. It covers all the essential concepts and can be used as a supplement to the second edition for further practice and understanding.