Difference between unit-fractional exponent and root sign

In summary, there is no difference between x^{1/2} and \sqrt{x} when dealing with real numbers. However, in advanced mathematics and when dealing with negative or complex numbers, there may be a technical difference as the notation \sqrt{x} represents a positive, single-valued real number while x^{1/2} does not carry this distinction. This is seen in the convention used for inverse hyperbolic functions.
mishrashubham
We were having our maths class a weeks ago and while studying quadratic equations our teacher asked us if there was an difference between [tex]x^{1/2}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex].

Up until then I had always assumed them to be the same thing. However he said that there was a difference and said that he would tell us the answer later. But due to some reason he had to leave town. I have been wondering ever sine then but couldn't find anything.

Could anyone help? What is the difference?

Thank You.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mishrashubham said:
We were having our maths class a weeks ago and while studying quadratic equations our teacher asked us if there was an difference between [tex]x^{1/2}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex].
In my view they are exactly the same. Let me stipulate that we're talking about real numbers x, with x >= 0. Each expression evaluates to a single, nonnegative number y such that y2 = x.

Some people mistakenly believe that [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] represents two numbers: one positive and one negative.
mishrashubham said:
Up until then I had always assumed them to be the same thing. However he said that there was a difference and said that he would tell us the answer later. But due to some reason he had to leave town. I have been wondering ever sine then but couldn't find anything.

Could anyone help? What is the difference?

Thank You.

In my understanding, they are the exact same thing too. Note that there may be authors in advanced mathematics (mostly complex analysis) that will define things such that the two things are not equal. However, when doing quadratic equations and other real stuff, there is not difference...

I always find it suspicious when people have to leave town.

SteamKing said:
Especially just before they're about to tell us about the difference between x1/2 and [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex].:smile:

I got to use that excuse someday:

Hey, I've found an incredibly beautiful proof that there are not nontrivial integer solutions to [tex]x^n+y^n=z^n[/tex]. But I have to leave town...

If x is real and positive, there's no difference. If x is negative or complex, there is a technical difference. The notation [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is a positive, singled-value real number. [itex]x^{1/2}[/itex] does not carry this distinction. You have to define your choice of branch cut, and then you can evaluate the result. This, at least, is the convention that Churchill and Brown use, if I recall correctly. For example, the inverse hyperbolic functions are

[tex]\mbox{arcosh}(z) = \log(z + (z+1)^{1/2}(z-1)^{1/2})[/tex]
where you cannot simplify [itex](z+1)^{1/2}(z-1)^{1/2} = (z^2-1)^{1/2}[/itex], as this will give the wrong result for the chosen branch cut. (The wiki page for inverse hyperbolic functions uses the [itex]\sqrt{\.}[/itex] notation, but I don't think that's standard.)

SteamKing said:

Mark44 said:
Especially just before they're about to tell us about the difference between x1/2 and [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex].:smile:

micromass said:
I got to use that excuse someday:

Hey, I've found an incredibly beautiful proof that there are not nontrivial integer solutions to [tex]x^n+y^n=z^n[/tex]. But I have to leave town...

Haha, I was expecting that. Anyways, if you think its an excuse, you may happily assume so if it adds to your amusement.

Thank you.

Mute said:
If x is real and positive, there's no difference. If x is negative or complex, there is a technical difference. The notation [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is a positive, singled-value real number. [itex]x^{1/2}[/itex] does not carry this distinction. You have to define your choice of branch cut, and then you can evaluate the result. This, at least, is the convention that Churchill and Brown use, if I recall correctly. For example, the inverse hyperbolic functions are

[tex]\mbox{arcosh}(z) = \log(z + (z+1)^{1/2}(z-1)^{1/2})[/tex]
where you cannot simplify [itex](z+1)^{1/2}(z-1)^{1/2} = (z^2-1)^{1/2}[/itex], as this will give the wrong result for the chosen branch cut. (The wiki page for inverse hyperbolic functions uses the [itex]\sqrt{\.}[/itex] notation, but I don't think that's standard.)

Thanks for the reply. We have not yet studied hyperbolic functions so I don't think I understood that bit. But I understood that as far as real numbers are concerned both are the same thing.
Thank you

FAQ: Difference between unit-fractional exponent and root sign

What is a unit-fractional exponent and how is it different from a root sign?

A unit-fractional exponent is a number that represents the power to which a base number is raised, where the exponent is a unit fraction (a fraction with a numerator of 1). A root sign, on the other hand, is a symbol that represents the inverse operation of exponentiation. It indicates the number that, when raised to a certain power, gives the given value.

What is the mathematical relationship between a unit-fractional exponent and a root sign?

The relationship between a unit-fractional exponent and a root sign is that they are inverse operations of each other. This means that if a number is raised to a unit-fractional exponent, taking the root sign of that number will give back the original number. Similarly, if a number is taken to a root sign, raising it to the corresponding unit-fractional exponent will result in the original number.

How are unit-fractional exponents and root signs used in real-world applications?

Unit-fractional exponents and root signs are commonly used in mathematics and science to represent fractional powers, such as square roots, cube roots, and higher order roots. They are also used in engineering to calculate rates and in finance to calculate compound interest. In the real world, these concepts are used to solve various problems involving exponential growth and decay.

Can unit-fractional exponents and root signs be simplified or converted to other forms?

Yes, unit-fractional exponents and root signs can be simplified and converted to other forms. For example, a root sign can be written as a fractional exponent by using the power rule, and a unit-fractional exponent can be simplified to a root sign by taking the corresponding root. It is important to note that these operations should be performed carefully to avoid errors and maintain accuracy.

What are some common mistakes made when working with unit-fractional exponents and root signs?

One common mistake is forgetting to simplify or convert unit-fractional exponents and root signs, leading to incorrect solutions. Another mistake is using the incorrect operation, such as using a root sign instead of a unit-fractional exponent or vice versa. It is also important to pay attention to the order of operations when working with these concepts, as it can affect the final result.