Difference in strength between extrusions and sheet metal

In summary: Yes, it is common knowledge among some of the more experienced engineers, although there is no concrete theory to back it up. I am just fact checking.
ENgez
Hello,

How do I take into account the difference in stiffness when fabricating a part (for example, an L-bracket) from sheet metal or using an extrusion?

In particular, where I work, it is "common knowledge" that extrusions are stiffer. How do i factor this in the stress and strain calculations?

I thought of using the theory of curved beams for sheet metal parts, and using two perpendicularly connected straight beams for the extrusion.

Does anyone have a standard procedure for this?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it "common knowledge" that extrusions are stiffer when all of the dimensions of each are exactly the same?

I would imagine that in most cases, the extrusion has a bit of a filet at the vertex of the bend that is not found on the bent sheet metal. This could make a lot of difference for some loading types.

If the two cross sections are exactly the same in every detail, then I cannot see any reason for a difference in stiffness.

Yes, it is common knowledge among some of the more experienced engineers, although there is no concrete theory to back it up. I am just fact checking.

I understand that identical cross sections should have the same stiffness, but allegedly, the fabrication process itself (bending or extrusion) makes some sort of difference.

So far, I have not managed to find a study or paper which deals with this.

ENgez said:
I understand that identical cross sections should have the same stiffness, but allegedly, the fabrication process itself (bending or extrusion) makes some sort of difference.
Yes, the fabrication process can have a large effect on the properties. Introductory textbooks on materials science and/or manufacturing processes are a good start.
Any of these may be relevant;
work hardening can occur during plastic deformation (ie folding operations)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_hardening

But it can also occur during extrusion (and rolling of sheet for that matter) so it depends on the details of the process.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrusion

Many extrusions undergo subsequent heat treatments to alter their properties:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_treating

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardenability

ENgez said:
Yes, it is common knowledge among some of the more experienced engineers, although there is no concrete theory to back it up. I am just fact checking.

So far, I have not managed to find a study or paper which deals with this.
It would help if we knew what material you are dealing with here. Is it aluminum, steel, what?

From a design standpoint, the properties presented for various sections (area, moment of inertia, etc.) are based on nominal dimensions. For rolled or extruded shapes, there will likely be some tolerances associated with the fabrication process (rolling or extrusion), just like extrusion or rolling may "work-harden" the material.

Because it is difficult to pin down these differences in dimensions and material properties from their nominal values, designers use the standard strength values for the grade of material and the nominal dimensions of the section.

If your design doesn't work unless you take into account these variations, then perhaps you need to re-evaluate the design from the ground up. :wink:

Related to Difference in strength between extrusions and sheet metal

1. What is the main difference between extrusions and sheet metal in terms of strength?

The main difference between extrusions and sheet metal in terms of strength is their manufacturing process. Extrusions are produced by forcing a metal material through a die, resulting in a continuous shape with a consistent cross-section. Sheet metal, on the other hand, is formed by cutting and shaping a flat sheet of metal. This difference in manufacturing leads to differences in the strength and properties of the final product.

2. Which one is stronger, extrusions or sheet metal?

It is difficult to determine which one is stronger as it depends on the specific application and the type of metal used. In general, extrusions tend to be stronger and more durable due to their continuous shape and consistent cross-section. However, sheet metal can also be strong depending on the thickness and type of metal used.

3. What factors affect the strength of extrusions and sheet metal?

Several factors can affect the strength of extrusions and sheet metal, including the type of metal used, the manufacturing process, and the design of the final product. The thickness and shape of the extrusion or sheet metal can also impact its strength.

4. Can extrusions and sheet metal be used interchangeably in terms of strength?

No, extrusions and sheet metal cannot be used interchangeably in terms of strength. As mentioned before, the manufacturing process and design of each type of metal can affect its strength, so they are not interchangeable. It is important to consider the specific requirements and properties of the project when deciding between extrusions and sheet metal.

5. Are there any advantages of using extrusions over sheet metal in terms of strength?

Yes, there are several advantages of using extrusions over sheet metal in terms of strength. Extrusions tend to have higher strength and durability due to their continuous shape and consistent cross-section. They also have a higher strength-to-weight ratio, making them ideal for lightweight yet strong structures. Additionally, extrusions can often be produced in longer lengths, reducing the need for joints and increasing the overall strength of the final product.