Different approximations of Compton scattering equation

In summary, the cange in frequency of a low energy photon scattered by an ultrarelativistic electron is given by:(v'-v) / v = [(Ω'-Ω).β] / [1-Ω'.β] wherev is photon frequency andm is electron mass.
ck99

Homework Statement

Show that, for low energy photons scattered by ultrarelativistic electrons, the cange in frequency of the photon is given by

(v'-v) / v = [(Ω'-Ω).β] / [1-Ω'.β]

Homework Equations

The full/general form of Compton scattering is given by

v'/v = (1-Ω.β) / [(1-Ω'β) + hv/(γmc2) (1 - Ω.Ω') ]

where v is photon frequency
m is electron mass
β is electron velocity divided by c
c is speed of light
γ is Lorentz factor
Ω is unit vector of propagation of the photon

and primed quantities are those quantities after scattering

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted the following. For low energy photons, hv << mc2 so that reduces the equation to

v'/v = (1-Ω.β) / (1-Ω'β)

or (v'-v)/v = [ (1-Ω.β) / [(1-Ω'β) ] - 1

For ultra-relativistic electrons, velocity is almost c, so β = 1 but looking at the target answer it is not helpful to remove β from the equation.

I think maybe I am missing something to do with vectors. How do I properly evaluate (Ω'-Ω).β ?

Is it just (Ω'-Ω).β = Ω'.β - Ω.β ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ck99 said:
How do I properly evaluate (Ω'-Ω).β ?

Is it just (Ω'-Ω).β = Ω'.β - Ω.β ?
Right. The scalar product and vector addition are distributive.

(v'-v)/v = [ (1-Ω.β) / [(1-Ω'β) ] - 1 is identical to the given formula, just written in a different way.

Hi mfb and thanks very much for your response. Just to clarify, when you say "Right." do you mean

1) Right, you have not expanded the brackets correctly

2) Right, you have expanded the brackets correctly

If I was any sort of mathematician I am sure I would be able to tell which you mean, but I'm not, and I can't!

If I have expanded the brackets correctly, I can't see how the two versions of the expression are compatible. I have three or four pages of algebra here, trying to make it work, but I must be missing something. If I am incorrect in the expansion, could you elaborate on how it should b done properly?

Right, is it just (Ω'-Ω).β = Ω'.β - Ω.β

Start with [ (1-Ωβ) / [(1-Ω'β) ] - 1
write 1 as (1-Ω'β)/(1-Ω'β) and combine the fractions:
(1-Ωβ-(1-Ω'β)) / (1-Ω'β)
Simplify, using (Ω'-Ω).β = Ω'.β - Ω.β:
((Ω'-Ω)β) / (1-Ω'β)
Done.

Ah, thanks! I as trying Taylor expansions and all sorts of things. I think it was the second step I was missing.

Cheers!

Related to Different approximations of Compton scattering equation

1. What is the Compton scattering equation and why is it important in science?

The Compton scattering equation, also known as the Compton effect, describes the change in energy and wavelength of a photon after it interacts with an electron. It is an important phenomenon in physics and is used to explain the scattering of X-rays and gamma rays, which has numerous applications in fields such as medicine and materials science.

2. What are the different approximations of the Compton scattering equation?

There are several approximations of the Compton scattering equation, including the Klein-Nishina formula, the non-relativistic Compton scattering equation, and the Thomson scattering equation. Each approximation is used under different conditions and takes into account different factors, such as the energy and mass of the particles involved.

3. How do these approximations differ from each other?

The Klein-Nishina formula is the most accurate approximation and takes into account the quantum nature of particles. The non-relativistic Compton scattering equation is used when the energy of the electron is much smaller than the energy of the incident photon. The Thomson scattering equation is used for low energy photons and assumes that the electron is free and has no spin.

4. What are the limitations of these approximations?

Each approximation has its limitations depending on the conditions under which it is used. For example, the Klein-Nishina formula is not accurate for very high energy photons, while the Thomson scattering equation is not applicable for high energy photons or when the electron has significant spin. Additionally, these approximations do not take into account other factors such as multiple scattering events or the effects of atomic structure.

5. How are these approximations used in scientific research?

Scientists use these approximations to calculate and understand the behavior of photons and electrons in various scenarios, such as in X-ray diffraction experiments or in the study of cosmic radiation. They also help in the development of new technologies, such as medical imaging techniques and materials analysis methods.