Different orders for a phase transition (variable depending)

In summary, the conversation discusses a mixed-order phase transition observed in a complex system, where the order of the transition depends on the variable being examined. This is a normal phenomenon and does not affect the validity of the Eherenfest classification of order.
lfqm
Hi guys!
I've got this system in which Eherenfest classification of "order" is assumed to be ok.
So I took my free energy function [tex]G(T,P)[/tex] and start differentiating.
I found just one phase transition between two phases, the problem is the phase transition is of different order depending on the variable, i.e. the lowest derivative respect to T to be discontinuous is the first, but the lowest derivative respect to P to be discontinuous is the second...

So... Is this normal?, I though it didn't matter how I cross the boundary between the phases, but apparently it does.
What is the order if the transition?, first (it is the lowest)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for sharing your findings!

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your findings with us. It is interesting that you have observed a phase transition with different orders depending on the variable. This is not uncommon in complex systems, and it is known as a mixed-order phase transition.

In mixed-order phase transitions, the order of the transition depends on the path taken to cross the boundary between phases. This means that the transition can be first-order for one variable and second-order for another. This is due to the fact that the system is sensitive to changes in different variables in different ways.

In your case, it seems that the first-order transition occurs for the variable T, while the second-order transition occurs for the variable P. This is completely normal and does not affect the validity of the Eherenfest classification of order. The classification is based on the behavior of the thermodynamic variables near the critical point, and in your case, both transitions still exhibit the characteristic behavior of a first-order and second-order transition, respectively.

I hope this helps to clarify your findings. Keep up the good work in your research!

Related to Different orders for a phase transition (variable depending)

1. What is a phase transition?

A phase transition is a physical process in which a substance undergoes a change in its physical properties, such as its state of matter (solid, liquid, gas), density, or magnetic or electrical properties. This change occurs when a certain condition, such as temperature or pressure, is reached.

2. What are the different orders for a phase transition?

There are three different orders for a phase transition: first order, second order, and higher order. First order phase transitions involve a discontinuous change in the substance's properties, such as a change in state from liquid to solid. Second order phase transitions involve a continuous change in the substance's properties, such as a change in magnetic properties. Higher order phase transitions involve more complex changes in the substance's properties.

3. How does the order of a phase transition affect the behavior of the substance?

The order of a phase transition can affect the behavior of a substance in several ways. For example, first order phase transitions often involve the release or absorption of latent heat, resulting in a change in temperature. Second order phase transitions can exhibit critical phenomena, such as a critical point where the substance's properties change dramatically. Higher order phase transitions can have more complex behavior and may involve multiple critical points.

4. Can a substance exhibit different orders of phase transition?

Yes, a substance can exhibit different orders of phase transition depending on the conditions under which it is undergoing the transition. For example, water can undergo both first order and second order phase transitions, depending on the temperature and pressure. Other substances may exhibit only one type of phase transition, such as second order, under all conditions.

5. How are phase transitions studied and observed?

Phase transitions are studied and observed through a variety of experimental techniques, including measuring changes in properties such as temperature, pressure, or magnetic field, and using advanced imaging techniques to visualize the changes in the substance's structure. Computer simulations and mathematical models can also be used to study and predict phase transitions.