Different Views on Thesis Work with PHD Advisor

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma of being assigned a topic, T, for their thesis preparation by their advisor, despite expressing a strong interest in a different topic, T'. The speaker is unsure if they should continue researching T or try to switch to T'. They seek advice on whether to stand up for their interests or stick with the standard approach of sticking with an advisor and topic. The conversation also raises the question of the advisor's expertise in T' and the importance of having a mutual interest in the topic between the advisor and student.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, Everyone:
I recently passed my oral exams for my Math PHD, and I am going on into the actual thesis prep.

My problem is that I (wrongly) believed that the topic I worked on for the 2nd exam
-- call it T--,was supposed to be an "entry" into the general area I was interested in, and that topic T would not be the one I would be using to work for the actual thesis, as I was intead hoping/interested in working on a somewhat-related topic , call it T'. It turns out my advisor is dead-set on my working on topic T instead.

I had repeatedly told my advisor, while working on T, for the second exam, in many different ways that I did not find topic T appealing, and that I had the right background, training and disposition for T'. I believed ( wrongly, I now realize), from some comments he made in this respect, that he was aware of my wanting to change from T into T', and that he was seriosuly considering looking for some work for me to do on T'.( I am not saying the advisor lied to me; I don't have grounds to say this.)

Now, I don't want to spend a couple of years working on something I don't find interesting. I don't know if it would sit well with my advisor if I were to go around now,
after passing the 2nd exam, looking for someone who would work with me on T'. The chair of the department is a mostly-conservative guy who wants people to stick with the standard approach of sticking to an advisor and a topic.

I am just hoping to get some comments, insights, suggestions on your part.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does your adviser have a very good reason you should not switch. Is T' an area with active research or is it unusual?

Thanks for your comment:
He said a while back that results in T' are too advanced at this point for meto work in, but I have seen some papers on T' that, though difficult, I believe are within my reach. Recently, he has brushed off any comments in this respect on my part, and the subject has become an implicit taboo. I get the impression that he is more at ease with the area of T than with T', and wants to make his life easier--unfortunately, at my expense. Still, if I have a chance to work on something more interesting, I will bolt out, without a second thought.

Your thesis is a very important time, make sure you do it in something that you legitimately find interesting. If you are really interested in T' you'll likely want to switch into it after you finish your thesis (if you stay with T), so it would be better to start researching T' right now instead.

Unless there is honestly some major conflict that will result, don't be afraid to stand up for the type of research that you want to do! Unless it is an extremely disparate subfield (say switching from category theory to convex geometry or something like that) then it should be acceptable and not taboo academic politics.

By the way, I'm dying to know what T and T' are!

T ---> T' is my guess.

What are T and T' ?

Maybe your advisor is right and T' is really a difficult topic. In any case, if your advisor doesn't have the background to work in T', then he can't really be your advisor.
You and your advisor must work on the same thing and find the same thing interesting. Otherwise it has no point. If you don't want to work in T, then you shouldn't. You should honestly state this to your advisor and perhaps seek a new one. Otherwise, you will hate your research (and you do not want this).

FAQ: Different Views on Thesis Work with PHD Advisor

1. What are the common challenges when working with a PhD advisor?

Some common challenges when working with a PhD advisor include communication issues, conflicting expectations, and differences in work styles.

2. How can I ensure a positive working relationship with my advisor?

To ensure a positive working relationship with your advisor, it is important to establish clear expectations, maintain open and effective communication, and actively seek feedback and guidance.

3. What should I do if I have a disagreement with my advisor?

If you have a disagreement with your advisor, it is important to approach the situation calmly and professionally. Clearly communicate your concerns and try to find a compromise or solution that works for both parties.

4. How much input should I expect from my advisor during my thesis work?

The level of input from your advisor may vary depending on your field and the specific requirements of your program. Generally, your advisor should provide guidance and support, but you are expected to take ownership of your thesis work and make independent decisions.

5. How can I effectively manage conflicts with my advisor?

To effectively manage conflicts with your advisor, it is important to remain calm and professional, communicate openly and honestly, and try to find a mutually beneficial solution. If necessary, seek guidance from other faculty members or a mediator.