Differental Equation Question, Particular Solutions?

• MHB
  • Thread starter stripedcat
  • Start date
In summary: It should be $y=Ae^{x^3/3}-1$ where $A$ is determined from the initial condition. So the final answer is $y=1.3956e^{x^3/3}-1$.In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and finding a particular solution with a given initial condition. The process involves solving the equation, finding a general solution, and then using the initial condition to determine a specific value for a constant. The final answer is y=1.3956e^{x^3/3}-1.
stripedcat
\(\displaystyle dy/dx = x^2+x^2y, y(1)=2\)

I'm not sure what to do with the y(1)=2, presumably I want to do the equation and then find y and c?

\(\displaystyle dy/dx=x^2(y+1)\)

\(\displaystyle dy/y+1=x^2 dx\)

\(\displaystyle ln(y+1)=x^3/3+C\)

\(\displaystyle y=e^{x^3/3} - 1 + C\)

I'm assuming I did this part right?

I just plug in 2 where the y is and I where the x is, then solve for y and c? Is that how it works?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Differiental Equation Question, Particular Solutions?

stripedcat said:
\(\displaystyle dy/dx = x^2+x^2y, y(1)=2\)

I'm not sure what to do with the y(1)=2, presumably I want to do the equation and then find y and c?

\(\displaystyle dy/dx=x^2(y+1)\)

\(\displaystyle dy/y+1=x^2 dx\)

\(\displaystyle ln(y+1)=x^3/3+C\)

Correct so far.
\(\displaystyle y=e^{x^3/3} - 1 + C\)
This should be $y=Ae^{x^3/3}-1$ where $A$ is some constant.

Now just use the initial condition to determine $A$.

Pranav said:
Correct so far.

This should be $y=Ae^{x^3/3}-1$ where $A$ is some constant.

Now just use the initial condition to determine $A$.

So like this...?

\(\displaystyle 2=Ce^{1^3/3}-1\)

Solve for C

\(\displaystyle e^{1/3} = 1.3956\)

\(\displaystyle 2=C(1.3956)-1\)

\(\displaystyle 3=C(1.39561)\)

C=~2.1496

Now that I have C...

\(\displaystyle y=(2.1496)(1.3956)-1\)

y=-0.24601?

Last edited:

stripedcat said:
So like this...?

\(\displaystyle 2=Ce^{1^3/3}\)

Shouldn't that be $3=Ce^{1/3}$?

Pranav said:
Shouldn't that be $3=Ce^{1/3}$?

Forgot the -1

But beyond that did I plug in the values like I was suppose to?

stripedcat said:
Now that I have C...

\(\displaystyle y=(2.1496)(1.3956)-1\)

y=-0.24601?

Any reason to replace $e^{x^3/3}$ with $1.3956$? You got $C$ in a correct way, so the final answer is $y=1.3956e^{x^3/3}-1$, do you see why?

So I got C, that's good then! Thank you!

Do we not plug in the previous X value when trying to solve for Y? I was wondering about that, it didn't seem right, but then by not including it I didn't see how to solve for Y without it being an abstract answer rather than a specific one.

So it's just the \(\displaystyle y=e^{x^3/3} -1\) for y then. Okay.

stripedcat said:
Do we not plug in the previous X value when trying to solve for Y? I was wondering about that, it didn't seem right, but then by not including it I didn't see how to solve for Y without it being an abstract answer rather than a specific one.
I am not sure what you ask here. The condition $y(1)=2$ was given to determine $A$. $y(1)=2$ means that at $x=1$, $y=2$, so you plug in these values of $x$ and $y$ and find $A$.
So it's just the \(\displaystyle y=e^{x^3/3} -1\) for y then. Okay.

No, look at my previous post.

FAQ: Differental Equation Question, Particular Solutions?

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model dynamic systems and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields of science.

What is a particular solution to a differential equation?

A particular solution to a differential equation is a specific function that satisfies the equation. It is obtained by substituting appropriate values for the constants in the general solution.

How do you find the particular solution to a differential equation?

To find the particular solution, you need to know the initial conditions (values of the function and its derivatives at a certain point) and substitute them into the general solution of the differential equation.

What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution to a differential equation?

The general solution to a differential equation includes all possible solutions, while a particular solution is a specific solution obtained by substituting appropriate values for the constants in the general solution.

What are some applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as modeling population growth, predicting the weather, analyzing electrical circuits, and understanding the motion of objects. They are also used in economics, biology, and chemistry.

Back