Differentiability and Continuity at a point

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the attempt at a solution for homework statement g'(0) = 0 has failed. It seems that the condition g'(x) is continuously differentiable at x = 0 must be met for this to happen. However, for this to happen, \alpha can take any value greater than 0.
bluecode
Homework Statement

Refer to attached file.

The attempt at a solution
(a)
[tex]
g'(0) = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{g(x)-g(0)}{x-0}}
[/tex]
[tex]
g'(0) = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{x^\alpha cos(1/x^2)-0}{x}}
[/tex]
[tex]
g'(0) = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {x^{(\alpha-1)} cos(1/x^2)-0}
[/tex]
[tex]
g'(0) = 0
[/tex]
So I've attempted to show that [itex]g'(0) = 0[/itex] and therefore that [itex]g'(x)[/itex] is differentiable at [itex]x = 0[/itex]. In this case, would the values of [itex]\alpha[/itex] for which this condition holds simply be [itex]\alpha> 0[/itex]? It seems to simple for this to be the case.

(b)
My interpretation of "continuously differentiable" is that at [itex]x = 0[/itex], [itex]g(x)[/itex] must be continuous and [itex]g'(x)[/itex] must exist. The latter condition is implied from part (a). So I just need to prove that [itex]g'(x)[/itex] is continuous at [itex]x = 0[/itex].
[tex]
-1 ≤ cos(1/x^2) ≤ 1
[/tex]
[tex]
-x^\alpha ≤ x^{\alpha}cos(1/x^2) ≤ x^\alpha
[/tex]
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {-x^\alpha} = 0
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {x^\alpha} = 0
[/tex]
so by the Squeeze Law,
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {x^\alpha cos(1/x^2)} = 0 = g(0)
[/tex]
For this part, it's a similar scenario.

I've proven that [itex]g'(x)[/itex] is continuously differentiable at [itex]x = 0[/itex], but for this to happen, [itex]\alpha[/itex] can take any value greater than 0, can't it?

I'd be grateful for any assistance with this question. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Question 2.png
    Question 2.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
What if [itex]0<\alpha\leqslant 1[/itex]? Then the limit wouldn't exist, why? Take a look when would happen if [itex]\alpha =1[/itex] for example.

bluecode said:
Homework Statement

Refer to attached file.

The attempt at a solution
(a)
[tex]
g'(0) = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{g(x)-g(0)}{x-0}}
[/tex]
[tex]
g'(0) = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{x^\alpha cos(1/x^2)-0}{x}}
[/tex]
[tex]
g'(0) = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {x^{(\alpha-1)} cos(1/x^2)-0}
[/tex]
[tex]
g'(0) = 0
[/tex]
So I've attempted to show that [itex]g'(0) = 0[/itex] and therefore that [itex]g'(x)[/itex] is differentiable at [itex]x = 0[/itex]. In this case, would the values of [itex]\alpha[/itex] for which this condition holds simply be [itex]\alpha> 0[/itex]? It seems to simple for this to be the case.

(b)
My interpretation of "continuously differentiable" is that at [itex]x = 0[/itex], [itex]g(x)[/itex] must be continuous and [itex]g'(x)[/itex] must exist.
That is an incorrect interpretation. As you say below, any differentiable function must be continuous so, with that interpretation, "continuously differentiable" would be no different from "differentiable". "Continuously differentiable" at x= a means that f'(x) exists in some neighborhood of a and f'(x) is continuous at x= a.

The latter condition is implied from part (a). So I just need to prove that [itex]g'(x)[/itex] is continuous at [itex]x = 0[/itex].
[tex]
-1 ≤ cos(1/x^2) ≤ 1
[/tex]
[tex]
-x^\alpha ≤ x^{\alpha}cos(1/x^2) ≤ x^\alpha
[/tex]
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {-x^\alpha} = 0
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {x^\alpha} = 0
[/tex]
so by the Squeeze Law,
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {x^\alpha cos(1/x^2)} = 0 = g(0)
[/tex]
For this part, it's a similar scenario.

I've proven that [itex]g'(x)[/itex] is continuously differentiable at [itex]x = 0[/itex], but for this to happen, [itex]\alpha[/itex] can take any value greater than 0, can't it?

I'd be grateful for any assistance with this question. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I understand the question better now.

So taking another go (can someone check whether this would be correct this time?):
(a) For [itex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {x^{(\alpha-1)} cos(1/x^2)}=g'(0) = 0
[/itex] to always hold, the following must be satisfied:
[tex]
-x^{(\alpha-1)} ≤ x^{(\alpha-1)}cos(1/x^2) ≤ x^{(\alpha-1)}
[/tex]
For this to happen, [itex]\alpha > 1[/itex] otherwise [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {x^{(\alpha-1)} cos(1/x^2)}[/itex] will be in between negative and positive infinity and so the limit would not exist.

(b) I understand that for g(x) to be continuously differentiable at x=0, g(x) must be differentiable at x=0 and g'(x) must be continuous at x=0.
After differentiating g(x) I eventually get:
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {g'(x)}={\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} [{(\alpha)x^{(\alpha-1)} cos(1/x^2)} + 2x^{(\alpha-3)} sin(1/x^2)}]=0
[/tex]
So by the same reasoning as part (a), [itex]\alpha > 3[/itex]

One question though: would it be OK to just say that the power of x in the inequality [itex]
-x^{(\alpha-1)} ≤ x^{(\alpha-1)}cos(1/x^2) ≤ x^{(\alpha-1)}
[/itex] needs to be greater than 0, and so [itex]\alpha > 1[/itex]?

Related to Differentiability and Continuity at a point

1. What is the definition of differentiability at a point?

Differentiability at a point means that the function has a well-defined derivative at that point, meaning that the slope of the tangent line can be calculated at that point.

2. How is differentiability related to continuity at a point?

If a function is differentiable at a point, it must also be continuous at that point. However, a function can be continuous at a point without being differentiable at that point.

3. How can I determine if a function is differentiable at a point?

To determine if a function is differentiable at a point, you can use the limit definition of a derivative. If the limit exists, then the function is differentiable at that point.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable at a point if it is not continuous at that point. Differentiability requires continuity, but continuity does not necessarily imply differentiability.

5. What is the difference between differentiability and continuity?

Differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a point, while continuity refers to the smoothness and lack of interruptions in a function. A function can be continuous without being differentiable, but it cannot be differentiable without being continuous.