Differential EQ Homework: Model Population Growth with dP/dt = kP(1-P/C)

In summary: What will happen when P= C?In summary, the conversation discusses a population growth model and how it cannot continue forever. The model is represented by the equation dP/dt = kP(1-P/C) where P is the population size and C is the carrying capacity. The conversation also discusses how to determine when the population is increasing or decreasing, and what the equilibrium solutions mean for the population. The equilibrium is reached when dP/dt = 0, which occurs when P = C.
Miagi

Homework Statement

A population increases exponentially in its stages, but cannot continue forever. C = carrying capacity.
Model rate of population change by dP/dt = kP(1-P/C) for P=population size

Homework Equations

1] a population is model dP/dt = 1.2P(1-P/4200)

2] For what value of P is the population increasing and decreasing.

3] What are the equilibrium solutions? what do equilibrium solutions mean for the population.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to approach this, I try solving the differential EQ but can't.
i tried the phase line test, it tells me that it increases when 0<P<4200?

Physics news on Phys.org
For 2, consider values of P above your value of 4200. What can you say about the sign of the derivative? Considering what it means in physical terms for P > 4200 may help you to understand what is going on.
(Traditionally you don't need to worry about population less than zero, but if the problem calls for it, that isn't too difficult as well. Anti-population doesn't mean much.)

For 3, think about what it means for something to be at "equilibrium". What does the value of a differential equation have to equal for "equilibrium"?

I did the phase line test. P>4200, the population is decreasing. So if the population gets over the capacity, it will die off because that area/town/city's limit is 4200 capacity.

So the equilibrium is 4200? sorry I kind of don't understand equilibrium. Does that mean its where you set the Diff EQ equal to 0?

"Equilibrium" here means "unchanging"- in other words dP/dt= 0.

Look at the right side: kP(1- P/C). For what values of P is that 0? 1- P/C is positive if 1- P/C> 0, 1> P/C, C> P. Assuming that k is positive then P(1- P/C) will be positive as long as P>0 and P< C. If P> C, 1- PC is negative, and so P(1- P/C) is negative.

So as long as P< C, its derivative is positive so P increases. As soon as P is greater than C, its derivative becomes negative and P decreases. What do you think will happen "in the long run"?

FAQ: Differential EQ Homework: Model Population Growth with dP/dt = kP(1-P/C)

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model and study various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. What does dP/dt = kP(1-P/C) represent in the population growth model?

In this model, dP/dt represents the rate of change of the population size over time. The term k represents the growth rate, while P and C represent the current population size and the carrying capacity of the environment, respectively.

3. How is this differential equation solved?

This differential equation can be solved using techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and Euler's method. The specific method used will depend on the initial conditions and the complexity of the equation.

4. What is the significance of the carrying capacity in this model?

The carrying capacity, represented by C, is the maximum population size that the environment can sustain. As the population approaches this limit, the growth rate decreases and the population stabilizes. This concept is important in understanding population dynamics and the impact of limited resources on population growth.

5. How can this model be applied in real-world situations?

This model can be used to study and predict population growth in various biological systems, such as animal or plant populations. It can also be applied to human populations, for example, in predicting the spread of diseases or understanding the impact of resource depletion on population growth. Additionally, this model can be modified and applied to other systems in fields such as economics and chemistry.

Back