Differential Eqn. of a 3rd order Filter

In summary, the conversation is about finding a differential equation for a given transfer function using a 3rd order circuit. The speaker has created the circuit and deduced voltage equations for the three nodes using Kirchhoff's circuit laws. They are unsure if the equations are correct and are not sure how to proceed from there. The other person suggests using Sallen-Key filters and transposing the transfer function to a differential equation.
Jaded1
Hi guys :) I'm going through some prep. work for my modules in Fall and I've come across a question I'm having some difficulty with.

Homework Statement

The question has a transfer function for which I need to find the differential equation relating the output voltage and the input voltage.

Homework Equations

Transfer function: H(s) = 15/(s3 + 6s2 + 15s + 15)

The Attempt at a Solution

I created the above circuit using a 3rd order sallen-key lowpass filter as in this website:http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/Sallenkey3Lowkeisan.htm. I then split the circuit into 3 parts - A,B,C.

I then deduced 3 voltage equations for the 3 nodes using kirchhoffs circuit laws as follows;

Va = (Va-Vin)/Z1 + (Va-Vb)/R2 + (Va-Vout)/Z2 = 0

Vb = (Vb-Va)/R2 + (Vb-Vout)/Z2 + (Vb-Vc)/R3 = 0

Vc = (Vc-Vb)/R3 + (Vc-0)/Z3 = 0

where Vc = Vout.

Are the above equations correct? I'm not very comfortable with 3rd order circuits as of yet, and am not sure if I got the equations right. I've gotten to this point, but after this I'm not sure what I need to do. If I simply the above equations I will get the transfer function, but that's not what I want to find, how do I proceed from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're trying to derive the diff. eq. for the given transfer function, what are you doing with Sallen-Key filters?

A transfer function is readily transposed to a diff. eq. since s → d/dt. Take it from there ...

Related to Differential Eqn. of a 3rd order Filter

What is a 3rd order filter?

A 3rd order filter refers to a type of filter used in signal processing and electronic circuits. It is a filter that is able to attenuate or amplify signals based on their frequency, and it has a slope of -18dB per octave. It is also known as a Butterworth filter.

How is a 3rd order filter different from a 1st or 2nd order filter?

A 3rd order filter has a steeper slope of -18dB per octave compared to a 1st order filter which has a slope of -6dB per octave, and a 2nd order filter which has a slope of -12dB per octave. This means that a 3rd order filter is able to provide better attenuation or amplification of signals at higher frequencies.

What is the differential equation of a 3rd order filter?

The differential equation of a 3rd order filter is a mathematical representation of its behavior and characteristics. It is a differential equation that involves the input signal, the output signal, and the parameters of the filter such as the resistance, capacitance, and inductance values.

How is the differential equation of a 3rd order filter solved?

The differential equation of a 3rd order filter can be solved using various methods such as Laplace transform, transfer function, or state space representation. These methods allow us to analyze the behavior of the filter and design it to meet specific requirements.

What are the applications of a 3rd order filter?

A 3rd order filter has various applications in signal processing and electronic circuits. It is commonly used in audio equalizers, active crossovers, and power supplies. It is also used in communication systems to filter out unwanted noise and interference from signals.