Differential equation: Autonomous equation question

In summary, the conversation involves a student being stuck on Question #2 part A/B of a homework assignment, which involves finding the roots and equilibrium equations of a given function. The student is unsure of the stability of the roots and is seeking clarification. The expert advises the student to focus on y' instead of y'' and provides a summary of the homework statement and equations given.
Hutchyy

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 2.38.20 PM.png

I'm stuck on Question #2 part A/B

Homework Equations

y'=r(1-y/k)y-h=y^2-ky+kh/r
y''=2y-k
Roots for y'= (k+/-sqrt(k^2-4kh/r))/2 I am assuming the positive root is y2
h<rk/4
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

on part a I'm getting the roots to be y2=(K+sqrt(k^2-4kh/r))/2 and y1=(K-sqrt(k^2-4kh/r))/2... I then got the second derivative of the function to be y''=2y-k and when i plug in the equilibrium equations to check which one is stable and unstable I get for y2 that it is unstable and for y1 it's stable but I know that it should be the reverse... unless somehow y2 is less than y1. Or I'm mislead in thinking that y''<0 is stable and y''>0 is unstable (in question #1 that is how it seemed to work out)

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget y'' - you only need to think about y'

Related to Differential equation: Autonomous equation question

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to describe how a system changes over time and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. What is an autonomous equation?

An autonomous equation is a type of differential equation that does not depend explicitly on the independent variable. This means that the equation is time-invariant and the behavior of the system is determined solely by its current state.

3. How do you solve an autonomous equation?

To solve an autonomous equation, you can use a variety of methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor. The solution will depend on the specific form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

4. What is the significance of equilibrium solutions in autonomous equations?

Equilibrium solutions in autonomous equations represent the steady state solutions where the system does not change over time. They are important because they provide insight into the long-term behavior of the system and can help determine stability.

5. How are autonomous equations used in real-world applications?

Autonomous equations are used to model and analyze various real-world systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They help to predict the behavior of these systems and make informed decisions in various fields such as economics, biology, and physics.