Differential Equation challenge

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for solving the given differential equation, including finding the general solution, using the substitution method, taking Laplace Transforms, and using power series. Each method arrives at the same solution of y(x) = 1 - e^(-2x). The conversation also highlights the importance of considering initial and boundary conditions when solving differential equations.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I wanted to post a challange question that is hopefully not really difficult, if the question is not understandable make sure to write it so I can try explain!:)Calculate the Differential equation for
\(\displaystyle y''+2y'=0\)
that satisfy
\(\displaystyle \lim_{x->\infty}y(x)=1\) and \(\displaystyle y(0)=0\)

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Differential Equation challange

Hello Petrus,

One way to proceed is to recognize we are given a linear second order homogeneous ODE whose characteristic roots are:

\(\displaystyle r=0,-2\)

Hence, the general solution is:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=c_1+c_2e^{-2x}\)

We may now state:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}y(x)=c_1=1\)

\(\displaystyle y(0)=1+c_2=0\,\therefore\,c_2=-1\)

Thus the solution satisfying the given conditions is:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=1-e^{-2x}\)

Re: Differential Equation challange

MarkFL said:
Hello Petrus,

One way to proceed is to recognize we are given a linear second order homogeneous ODE whose characteristic roots are:

\(\displaystyle r=0,-2\)

Hence, the general solution is:

We may now state:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}y(x)=c_1=1\)

\(\displaystyle y(0)=1+c_2=0\,\therefore\,c_2=-1\)

Thus the solution satisfying the given conditions is:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=1-e^{-2x}\)
Hello MarkFL,
Congrats that is the correct answer(Clapping)
Well you said "one way to proceed.." is there more way to solve this differential equation? Well this is the way I have learned yet:) The smart thing with start with the \(\displaystyle \lim_{x->\infty}y(x)=1\) is that \(\displaystyle \lim_{x->\infty}e^{-2x}=0\) so that \(\displaystyle c_2\) can be any real value and hence we are only left with \(\displaystyle c_1\) and thanks to that we can solve it with \(\displaystyle y(0)=0\) Thanks for taking your time and enter my challange!:)

Regards,

Another way is to write the ODE as:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dx} \right)=-2\frac{dy}{dx}\)

Integrate with respect to $x$ to obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=-2y+c_1\)

Separate variables:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{-2y+c_1}\,dy=dx\)

Integrate:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{2}\ln|c_1-2y|=x+c_2\)

\(\displaystyle \ln|c_1-2y|=-2x+c_2\)

\(\displaystyle c_1-2y=c_2e^{-2x}\)

And now proceed as before...

Another way is to use the substitution \(\displaystyle t = y'\)

\(\displaystyle t'+2t=0\)

This differential equation is separable we can also multiply by the integrating factor .

Another method (which I think is the longest way; EDIT: Solving by Power Series about $x=0$ would be way more complicated and longer) would be to take Laplace Transforms of both sides to obtain:
\[\mathcal{L}\{y^{\prime\prime}\} + \mathcal{L}\{2y\} = \mathcal{L}\{0\} \implies s^2Y(s)-sy(0) - y^{\prime}(0) + 2sY(s)-2y(0)=0.\]
Note here we know nothing about $y^{\prime}(0)$, but let's not worry about that for the time being. Letting $y(0)=0$ and solving for $Y(s)$, we get
\[Y(s)=\frac{y^{\prime}(0)}{s^2+2s}=\frac{y^{\prime}(0)(s+2-s)}{2s(s+2)}=\frac{y^{\prime}(0)}{2}\left(\frac{1}{s}-\frac{1}{s+2}\right)\]
Taking the Inverse Laplace Transform of both sides gives us
\[y(x)=\mathcal{L}^{-1}\{Y(s)\} = \frac{y^{\prime}(0)}{2}\left(\mathcal{L}^{-1}\left\{\frac{1}{s}\right\} - \mathcal{L}^{-1}\left\{\frac{1}{s+2}\right\}\right) = \frac{y^{\prime}(0)}{2}(1-e^{-2x})\]
But we're told that $\displaystyle\lim_{x\to\infty}y(x)=1$, which implies that
\[\lim_{x\to\infty}y(x)= \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{y^{\prime}(0)}{2} (1-e^{-2x})=\frac{y^{\prime}(0)}{2}=1\implies y^{\prime}(0)=2.\]
Therefore, the solution to our equation is $y(x)=1-e^{-2x}$.

(That was fun! XD)

Last edited:
Since \(\displaystyle y(x) \) is analytic around \(\displaystyle 0\) we can find the power series

Let \(\displaystyle y(x) = \sum_{n\geq 0} a_n x^n\)

\(\displaystyle y'(x) =\sum_{n\geq 1} n a_n x^{n-1} \)

\(\displaystyle y''(x) =\sum_{n\geq 2} n(n-1) a_n x^{n-2} \)

Hence we have the following

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n\geq 2} n(n-1) a_n x^{n-2} +2 \, \sum_{n\geq 1} n a_n x^{n-1}=0\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n\geq 2} n(n-1) a_n x^{n-2} +2 \, \sum_{n\geq 2} (n-1) a_{n-1} x^{n-2}=0\)

Hence we have the following

\(\displaystyle n(n-1)a_n+2(n-1) a_{n-1} =0\)\(\displaystyle na_n+2a_{n-1}=0 \,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\, a_n = -\frac{2}{n} a_{n-1} \,\,\,\, , n\geq 2 \)

\(\displaystyle a_2 = -a_1\)

\(\displaystyle a_3 = \frac{2}{3}a_1\)

\(\displaystyle a_4 = -\frac{2^2}{3 \cdot 4} a_1\)

which suggests that

\(\displaystyle a_n = \frac{(-2)^{n-1}}{n!} a_1\)

we can easily deduce that \(\displaystyle a_0 = 0 \) using the initial condition .

\(\displaystyle y(x) = a_1\sum_{n\geq 1}\frac{(-2)^{n-1}}{(n)!} \, x^n = \frac{-a_1}{2}\, \sum_{n\geq 1}\frac{(-2)^{n}}{(n)!} \, x^n\)

\(\displaystyle y(x) = \frac{a_1}{-2} (e^{-2x}-1) \)

using \(\displaystyle y(\infty) = 1\) implies that \(\displaystyle a_1 = 2\)

\(\displaystyle y(x) = -(e^{-2x}-1) = 1-e^{-2x} \,\, \square \)

By the way I didn't see Chris's comment (Rofl)

Hello,
I want to first thank you all for taking your time and enter the challange!:) When I did post this problem I only knew one method (which is the MarkFL post #2) and now you all show me more method! Remainds me one of the reason why I find math is such an intressting subject! I am Really gratefull!

Regards,

FAQ: Differential Equation challenge

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It involves the use of mathematical expressions to describe the rate of change of a system over time.

What is the purpose of the "Differential Equation challenge"?

The purpose of the "Differential Equation challenge" is to provide a platform for scientists and mathematicians to develop and improve their skills in solving differential equations. It also serves as a way to apply these skills to real-world problems and scenarios.

What are some common applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

What techniques are used to solve differential equations?

There are several techniques for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and the use of specific formulas for certain types of equations. Numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, are also commonly used to approximate solutions to differential equations.

What are the challenges in solving differential equations?

Solving differential equations can be challenging due to their complexity and the lack of a general method for solving all types of equations. It requires a strong understanding of calculus and mathematical concepts, as well as the ability to apply various techniques and methods to different types of equations.