Differential equation for projectile

In summary, the algorithm solves for the projectile position and velocity given a set of input values such as the launch speed and angle. The equation can be solved for either x or y, but typically x is used due to its simplicity.
Feeh
I want to model a Differential Equation for a projectile motion under 2 forces (gravity and wind)

So, what I have now is an algorithm that simulate the parametric motion (2d) of the project under those 2 forces (given a P position of the projectile with velocity V under a vector of forces F (or acceleration as my projectiles have no mass), find a new position for each time T)
(Link to the motion simulation example: http://s12.postimg.org/wbr8tyej1/projectile.png)

I want to model it as a differential equation. If possible with these variants:

1- basic differential equation projectile motion with no wind, just gravity...the quadratic equation from basic physics should be the solution to it

2- the "complete" form with wind and gravity as I described

3- add drag force. I know that the equation may have no solution

I've learned to solve them but not to model them; if you could give me or point a good textbook that show how to model it I'd be glad

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Feeh said:
I want to model a Differential Equation for a projectile motion under 2 forces (gravity and wind)

So, what I have now is an algorithm that simulate the parametric motion (2d) of the project under those 2 forces (given a P position of the projectile with velocity V under a vector of forces F (or acceleration as my projectiles have no mass), find a new position for each time T)
(Link to the motion simulation example: http://s12.postimg.org/wbr8tyej1/projectile.png)

I want to model it as a differential equation. If possible with these variants:

1- basic differential equation projectile motion with no wind, just gravity...the quadratic equation from basic physics should be the solution to it
So the only force is gravity- since "F= ma" and the force due to gravity is mg, mg= ma, a= g, a constant. The differential equations are [itex]d^2x/dt^2= 0[/itex] since there is no force horizontally and [itex]d^2y/dt^2= -g[/itex] vertically

2- the "complete" form with wind and gravity as I described

3- add drag force. I know that the equation may have no solution
These two are a lot the same. The force the wind applies is a form of "drag". The one thing to do is to model it as a quadratic function of the speed, [itex]\omega v^2= \omega (v_x^2+ v_y^2)= \omega((dx/dt)^2+ (dy/dt)^2)[/itex]. That would give [itex]d^2x/dt^2= -g- \omega ((dx/dt)^2+ (dy/dt)^2)[/itex], [itex]d^2y/dt^2= -g- \omega ((dx/dt)^2+ (dy/dt)^2)[/itex].

I've learned to solve them but not to model them; if you could give me or point a good textbook that show how to model it I'd be glad

Likes 1 person
Using your example I was able to see how to reach the first example (only gravity) and found the quadratic equation as solution

However I had no time to test the second example (gravity+wind) in fact I did not get the general idea, maybe I'm not seeing something but here is what I've found based on my simulation algorithm and your first example

[tex]y(t)=y_i + v*t*sin(\beta) - \frac{1}{2}y''(t)*t^2 + w*t^2*sin(\alpha)[/tex]
[tex]x(t)=x_i + v*t*cos(\beta) + w*t^2*cos(\alpha)[/tex]
position_y = velocity*time - gravity*t^2 + wind*t^2
position_x = velocity*time + wind*t^2

where:
x(t) and y(t) are the projectile position at any given time t
v is the initial velocity of the projectile at launch
β is the launch angle
α is the wind acceleration angle
w is the wind acceleration
xi, yi are the initial positions on a 2d space

This lead me to some other questions:
-Since its me who gives the launch speed (known values), my approach to use them as v and angle β instead of x'(t) and y'(t)? I'm assuming this approach will remove the initial value problem

-The general idea, seems to be correct?

Last edited:

FAQ: Differential equation for projectile

1. What is a differential equation for projectile?

A differential equation for projectile is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of a projectile, taking into account factors such as gravity, air resistance, and initial velocity. It is typically written in terms of time and can be solved to determine the trajectory of the projectile.

2. What are the variables in a differential equation for projectile?

The variables in a differential equation for projectile include time, position, velocity, and acceleration. These variables are used to describe the motion of the projectile and can be solved for to determine the trajectory of the projectile.

3. How is a differential equation for projectile derived?

A differential equation for projectile is derived using principles from classical mechanics and calculus. It takes into account the forces acting on the projectile, such as gravity and air resistance, and uses equations of motion to describe its trajectory.

4. Can a differential equation for projectile be solved analytically?

In some cases, a differential equation for projectile can be solved analytically, meaning a closed-form solution can be obtained. However, in many cases, the equation must be solved numerically using computational methods due to the complexity of the equation and the factors involved.

5. How is a differential equation for projectile used in real-world applications?

A differential equation for projectile is used in many real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a rocket or determining the optimal angle for a golf shot. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and ballistics to understand and analyze the motion of projectiles.