Differential equation from derivative of time dilation

In summary: Then one can use the Lorentz Transformation to get the answer you want.The Lorentz Transformation gives$$t' = \gamma \left( t - \frac{vx}{c^2} \right)$$are you intending to evaluate ##\frac{\partial t'}{\partial t}## at x=0?Yes, I am.
bb1414
Hi all! I was messing around with the equation for time dilation. What I wanted to do was see how the time of a moving observer ##t'## changed with respect to the time of a stationary observer ##t##. So I differentiated the equation for time dilation ##t'## with respect to ##t##:
$$\frac {dt'} {dt}=\frac {d} {dt}\frac t {\sqrt {1 - \frac {v^2} {c^2}}}$$
Where ##v=\frac {dx} {dt}##. This gave me the following result:
$$\frac {dt'} {dt}=γ+\frac {tva} {γc^2}$$
Where ##γ=\frac 1 {\sqrt {1 - \frac {v^2} {c^2}}}## and ##a=\frac {d^2x} {dt^2}##.

For one, I found this pretty interesting already, especially the product ##tva## in the numerator of the second term. Rewriting this in terms of the position of the moving observer ##x(t)## should help with I'm asking for:
$$\frac {dt'} {dt}=\frac 1 {\sqrt {1 - \frac {x'^2} {c^2}}}+\frac {tx'x''} {c^2}\sqrt {1 - \frac {x'^2} {c^2}}$$

I'm interested in finding a solution for when the change in the time of the moving observer with respect to the time of the stationary observer is zero, or ##\frac {dt'} {dt}=0##. More specifically, I'm trying to find a position function ##x(t)## that satisfies the differential equation:
$$0=\frac 1 {\sqrt {1 - \frac {x'^2} {c^2}}}+\frac {tx'x''} {c^2}\sqrt {1 - \frac {x'^2} {c^2}}$$
I'm not too great with differential equations (especially of this caliber) so I'm having some trouble solving this. Can any of you help me out here to find a generalized solution for ##x(t)##?

Thank you!

(Also, I'd love to hear your interpretations of my result for ##\frac {dt'} {dt}##!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your starting assumption is wrong. For a general observer for whom the velocity is not constant, the time-dilation is an integral relationship, i.e.,
$$
\tau = \int^t \gamma^{-1} \, dt,
$$
not ##\tau = \gamma t## (also note that it is ##\gamma^{-1}##, not ##\gamma##). Only for constant speed does this integrate to ##\tau = t/\gamma##.

bb1414 said:
I'm interested in finding a solution for when the change in the time of the moving observer with respect to the time of the stationary observer is zero, or ##\frac {dt'} {dt}=0##.

This is never the case. That derivative will always be ##\gamma^{-1}##.

Likes Dale
Orodruin said:
Your starting assumption is wrong. For a general observer for whom the velocity is not constant, the time-dilation is an integral relationship, i.e.,
$$
\tau = \int^t \gamma^{-1} \, dt,
$$
not ##\tau = \gamma t## (also note that it is ##\gamma^{-1}##, not ##\gamma##). Only for constant speed does this integrate to ##\tau = t/\gamma##.
This is never the case. That derivative will always be ##\gamma^{-1}##.

Thanks for clearing this up Orodruin. My answer did seem a little odd to me, and this makes much more sense.

Likes Dale
bb1414 said:
Hi all! I was messing around with the equation for time dilation. What I wanted to do was see how the time of a moving observer ##t'## changed with respect to the time of a stationary observer ##t##. So I differentiated the equation for time dilation ##t'## with respect to ##t##:
$$\frac {dt'} {dt}=\frac {d} {dt}\frac t {\sqrt {1 - \frac {v^2} {c^2}}}$$
Where ##v=\frac {dx} {dt}##. This gave me the following result:
$$\frac {dt'} {dt}=γ+\frac {tva} {γc^2}$$
Where ##γ=\frac 1 {\sqrt {1 - \frac {v^2} {c^2}}}## and ##a=\frac {d^2x} {dt^2}##.

I have a couple of concerns. Firstly, using your expression for t', I get
$$\frac{dt'}{dt} = \gamma +\frac{t\,v\,a}{\gamma^3 \, c^2}
$$

I have some other concerns. The Lorentz transform gives

$$t' = \gamma \left( t - \frac{vx}{c^2} \right)$$

are you intending to evaluate ##\frac{\partial t'}{\partial t}## at x=0? This gives the answer that Orodruin mentioned if you work it out, namely

$$\frac{\partial t'}{\partial t} |_{x=0} = 1 / \gamma$$

In general ##\frac{\partial t'}{\partial t}## will depend along what worldline one evaluates it, and it's a partial differential equation, not a differential equation. One can avoid using PDE's if one manages to replace one of the time coordinates with proper time, ##\tau##.

Related to Differential equation from derivative of time dilation

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is used to describe and model various phenomena in science and engineering, such as motion and change.

2. How is time dilation related to differential equations?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity, where time appears to run slower in a moving reference frame. This effect can be described mathematically using a differential equation, specifically the Lorentz transformation, which relates the time dilation factor to the velocity of the reference frame.

3. What is the derivative of time dilation?

The derivative of time dilation is the rate of change of the time dilation factor with respect to the velocity of the reference frame. It is calculated using the Lorentz transformation and is a key component in understanding the effects of time dilation.

4. How are differential equations used to model time dilation in practical applications?

Differential equations are used to model time dilation in a variety of practical applications, such as in GPS systems, particle accelerators, and space travel. By accurately modeling the effects of time dilation, these systems can make precise calculations and predictions.

5. Can differential equations be solved to find the exact time dilation factor?

Yes, differential equations can be solved to find the exact time dilation factor. However, the solutions can be complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques. In most cases, approximations or numerical methods are used to solve the equations and obtain practical results.