Differential equation Hermite polynomials

In summary, differential equation Hermite polynomials are special functions used to solve certain types of differential equations. They have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and signal processing. They are defined recursively and have properties such as orthogonality, recurrence relation, and generating function. In physics, they are used to describe wave functions, energy levels, and partition functions.
dakold
I got a problem in quantum physics that i have come to a differential equation but I don't see how to solve it, its on the form
F''(x)+(Cx^2+D)F(x)=0.
How should I solve it?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this the ODE for the Hermite polynomials ?

yes it's. i tried to make a ansatz with hermite polynomials and it solved the equation.

Related to Differential equation Hermite polynomials

What are differential equation Hermite polynomials?

Differential equation Hermite polynomials are a type of special function that arise in solving certain types of differential equations. They are named after French mathematician Charles Hermite and are denoted by the symbol Hn(x), where n is a non-negative integer.

What is the significance of Hermite polynomials in differential equations?

Hermite polynomials have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the areas of quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and signal processing. They are also used in solving problems related to heat conduction, quantum harmonic oscillators, and eigenvalue problems.

How are Hermite polynomials defined?

Hermite polynomials are defined recursively using the following formula: H0(x) = 1, H1(x) = 2x, and Hn+1(x) = 2xHn(x) - 2nHn-1(x) for n ≥ 1. They can also be expressed using the generating function: ∑n=0 Hn(x)zn = e2xz - z2.

What are the properties of Hermite polynomials?

Some of the key properties of Hermite polynomials include orthogonality, recurrence relation, generating function, and Rodrigues' formula. They are also symmetric and have only real roots. Additionally, they can be expressed in terms of other special functions such as gamma functions and Bessel functions.

What are the applications of Hermite polynomials in physics?

Aside from their use in solving differential equations, Hermite polynomials have numerous applications in physics. They are used to describe the wave functions of quantum systems, such as the ground state of a particle in a harmonic oscillator potential. They also play a role in the description of the energy levels of the hydrogen atom and in calculating the partition function in statistical mechanics.

Back