Differential Equation of Unknown Type

In summary: I don't know how to do that fixing of integrals....Do you know how to make the substitution: $\displaystyle u=\frac{1}{x^3}$ ?Do you know how to make the substitution: $\displaystyle u=\frac{1}{x^3}$ ?yes, i know that I would next consider writing:F=\int e^{-x^{-3}}x^{-2}\,dx+\left(y^3+1 \right)\int e^{-x^{-3}}x^{-4}\,dx+g(y)Now what can we do to each integral to get an appropriate differential for the obvious substitutions?We can use the substitution:$\displaystyle u=x^{-3}$so that:$\
paulmdrdo1
can you help me solve this,

$\displaystyle (x^2+y^3+1)dx+x^4y^2dy=0$

I can't see any particular exact D.E form here. please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a special integrating factor that is a function of just $x$. Can you find it?

MarkFL said:
There is a special integrating factor that is a function of just $x$. Can you find it?

sorry MarkFL, I've already tried everything but still couldn't find something that's familiar to me. :(

This is what I was taught as a student:

If $M(x,y)\,dx+N(x,y)\,dy=0$ is neither separable nor linear, compute \(\displaystyle \frac{\partial M}{\partial y}\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{\partial N}{\partial x}\). If \(\displaystyle \frac{\partial M}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial N}{\partial x}\), then the equation is exact. If it is not exact, consider:

(1) \(\displaystyle \frac{\dfrac{\partial M}{\partial y}-\dfrac{\partial N}{\partial x}}{N}\)

If (1) is a function of just $x$, then an integrating factor is given by:

\(\displaystyle \mu(x)=\exp\left(\int\frac{\dfrac{\partial M}{\partial y}-\dfrac{\partial N}{\partial x}}{N}\,dx \right)\)

If not, consider:

(2) \(\displaystyle \frac{\dfrac{\partial N}{\partial x}-\dfrac{\partial M}{\partial y}}{M}\)

If (2) is a function of just $y$, then an integrating factor is given by:

\(\displaystyle \mu(y)=\exp\left(\int\frac{\dfrac{\partial N}{\partial x}-\dfrac{\partial M}{\partial y}}{M}\,dy \right)\)

Based on this, what do you conclude regarding the given problem?

MarkFL told you: "There is a special integrating factor that is a function of just x . Can you find it?"

Call that function v(t). Multiplying both sides of your differential equation by that gives
[tex]v(x)(x^2+ y^3+ 1)dx+ v(x)x^4y^2dy= 0[/tex]. The condition that this be "exact" would be [tex](v(x)(x^2+ y^3+ 1))_y= (v(x)x^4y^2)_x[/tex]
[tex]3v(x)y^2= v'(x)x^4y^2+ 4v(x)x^3y^3[/tex]

Now you can divide through by y to get the differential equation
[tex]3v= x^4v'+ 4x^3v[/tex]

[tex]x^4v'= (4x^3- 3)v[/tex]

A separable equation for v.

Last edited by a moderator:

I get an integrating factor which is just a function of x to be

$\displaystyle e^{-(x^{-3}+4\ln(x))}$ or $\displaystyle \frac{e^{-x^{-3}}}{x^4}$ now what am I going to do next?

Last edited:
paulmdrdo said:

$\displaystyle e^{-(x^{-3}+4\ln(x))}$ now what am I going to do next?

Read HallsOfIvy's post.

$\displaystyle e^{-(x^{-3}+4\ln(x))}$ or $\displaystyle \frac{e^{-x^{-3}}}{x^4}$ now what am I going to do next?

multiplying this integrating factor to my orig D.E i get,
$\displaystyle \left(\frac{e^{-x^{-3}}}{x^2}+\frac{e^{-x^{-3}}y^3}{x^4}+\frac{e^{-x^{-3}}}{x^4}\right)dx+e^{-x^{-3}}y^2dy$

now letting

$\displaystyle M=\left(\frac{e^{-x^{-3}}}{x^2}+\frac{e^{-x^{-3}}y^3}{x^4}+\frac{e^{-x^{-3}}}{x^4}\right)$

then,

$\displaystyle \frac{\partial M}{\partial y}=3x^{-4}y^2e^{-x^{-3}}$

and letting

$\displaystyle N=e^{-x^{-3}}y^2dy$

then,

$\displaystyle \frac{\partial N}{\partial x}=3x^{-4}y^2e^{-x^{-3}}$

now I have

$\displaystyle \frac{\partial M}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial N}{\partial x}$

which tells us that I have an exact D.E

therefore there exist a Function $F(x,y)=c$ such that,

$\displaystyle\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}=M$ and $\displaystyle\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=N$

now

$\displaystyle\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}=\left(\frac{e^{-x^{-3}}}{x^2}+\frac{e^{-x^{-3}}y^3}{x^4}+\frac{e^{-x^{-3}}}{x^4}\right)$

so, $\displaystyle F=\int \left(\frac{e^{-x^{-3}}}{x^2}+\frac{e^{-x^{-3}}y^3}{x^4}+\frac{e^{-x^{-3}}}{x^4}\right)\partial x$

can you help me continue with the integration? thanks!

I would next consider writing:

\(\displaystyle F=\int e^{-x^{-3}}x^{-2}\,dx+\left(y^3+1 \right)\int e^{-x^{-3}}x^{-4}\,dx+g(y)\)

Now what can we do to each integral to get an appropriate differential for the obvious substitutions?

MarkFL said:
I would next consider writing:

\(\displaystyle F=\int e^{-x^{-3}}x^{-2}\,dx+\left(y^3+1 \right)\int e^{-x^{-3}}x^{-4}\,dx+g(y)\)

Now what can we do to each integral to get an appropriate differential for the obvious substitutions?

use integration by parts? Am I right?

paulmdrdo said:
use integration by parts? Am I right?

Yes, eventually and on the first integral on the right only. But first we need to "fix" the two integrals so that the differentials we need in using an appropriate substitution will be present.

:) :)

MarkFL said:
Yes, eventually and on the first integral on the right only. But first we need to "fix" the two integrals so that the differentials we need in using an appropriate substitution will be present.

I don't know how to do that fixing of integrals. :confused:

LATEBLOOMER said:
:confused:

For an integral of the form:

\(\displaystyle \int e^{-x^{-3}}x^n\,dx\)

What would you begin by saying would be a good candidate for a substitution?

MarkFL said:
For an integral of the form:

\(\displaystyle \int e^{-x^{-3}}x^n\,dx\)

What would you begin by saying would be a good candidate for a substitution?

Sorry, still don't get it.:(

paulmdrdo said:
Sorry, still don't get it.:(

Don't you think the following substitution would be a good place to start?

\(\displaystyle u=-x^{-3}\)

So, what does your differential then need to be?

FAQ: Differential Equation of Unknown Type

What is a differential equation of unknown type?

A differential equation of unknown type is a type of mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It can be written in the form of f(x,y(x),y'(x),...,y(n)(x))=0, where n is the highest order of derivative present in the equation. The type of the equation is unknown because it cannot be classified into any specific category, such as linear or nonlinear.

What is the purpose of solving a differential equation of unknown type?

The purpose of solving a differential equation of unknown type is to find an explicit or implicit solution to the equation. This solution can then be used to model real-life phenomena and make predictions for future behavior. Differential equations of unknown type are often encountered in physics, engineering, and other fields of science.

What are some techniques used to solve a differential equation of unknown type?

Some techniques used to solve a differential equation of unknown type include separation of variables, substitution, and power series. Other techniques such as Laplace transforms and numerical methods may also be used. The choice of technique depends on the specific form of the equation and the available tools and resources.

Is it always possible to find an exact solution to a differential equation of unknown type?

No, it is not always possible to find an exact solution to a differential equation of unknown type. In some cases, the equation may not have a closed-form solution, meaning it cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution.

What are some applications of differential equations of unknown type in real life?

Differential equations of unknown type have numerous applications in real life, including modeling population growth, predicting the spread of diseases, analyzing chemical reactions, and designing control systems. They are also used in various fields of engineering, such as electrical circuits and fluid dynamics.