Differential equation problem i

In summary, a differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with one or more of its derivatives and is used to describe how a system changes over time. Differential equations are important because they can be used to model and solve many real-world problems in various fields. There are various techniques for solving differential equations, and the type and complexity of the equation determine the method used. Ordinary and partial differential equations differ in the number of independent variables they involve, and they are used in different contexts, such as modeling systems evolving in time or multiple spatial dimensions. Differential equations have many practical applications in science, engineering, economics, and finance.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

A population is modeled by the differential equation

dP/dt= 1.2P(1-P/4200)

(a) For what values of P is the population increasing?
(b) For what values of P is the population decreasing?
(c) What are the equillibrium solutions?

Do I just plug in numbers or do I find the derivative and then plug in numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind I figured out the problem.

FAQ: Differential equation problem i

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with one or more of its derivatives. It is used to describe how a system changes over time based on its current state and rate of change.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they can be used to model and solve many real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They also provide a way to analyze and understand the behavior of complex systems.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are many techniques for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using a integrating factor. The method used depends on the type of differential equation and its complexity.

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations (ODEs) involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations (PDEs) involve multiple independent variables. ODEs are commonly used to model systems evolving in time, while PDEs are used to model systems evolving in multiple spatial dimensions.

5. How are differential equations used in real life?

Differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in economics and finance to model population growth, stock prices, and interest rates.